Ichthyotoxic effect of Phyllantus niruri leaf
Phyllantus niruri is a versatile African medicinal plant employed for control of several human ailments. It has been reportedly used in control of certain fish infections. It lowers fish blood sugar level, has immunostimulant activities and is a stress reliever in fishes. The present work shows that despites its health benefits, it has some ichthyotoxic effect which is both concentration and time dependent. The affected fishes showed behavioral changes which include weakness, erratic swimming and moribund behavior and finally death. The gills of such fishes showed lamellae inflammation and distortion and serious gill shrinkage and lamellae erosion. They must have died due to poor supply of oxygen. The work therefore suggests that care should be taken when treating fishes with Phyllantus niruri in order not to exceed its safe limit.
Keywords: Phyllantus niruri, Clarias gariepinus, ichthyotoxicity, gill lamellae inflammation, lamellae erosion
Frank N.I. Morah, Albert P. Ekanem, Enobong M. Michael. Ichthyotoxic effect of Phyllantus niruri leaf. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 2(2)2016, 39-44.
- Albert, V.and Ransangan, J. (2013). Antimicrobial potential of crude plant extracts against gram negative fish bacterial pathogens. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Biosciences 3 (2): 21-27.
- Anilan, B., Nithryopiyatharshini, A. and Ravanesharen, K. (2010). Influence of certain herbal additives on the growth, survival and disease resistance of gold fish (Carassiasaruratus Linnaeus). Journal of Veterinary Animal Science 6:5-11.
- Bagalkotar, G., Sagineedu, R. S., Soad, M. S. and Stanslac, J. (2010). Phytochemcials from Phyllantus niruri Lin and their pharmacological properties review Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 58(12):1559-1570.
- Cimanga, R. K., Tona, I., Luyndula, N., Mesia, K., Lusakibanza, C. T., Apers, S., De Brugne, T., Merit, S., Hermans, N., Totte, J., Pieters, L. and Vlietinet A. J. (2004). In vivio antiplasmidal activity of callus culture extract and fractions from fresh apical stem of Phyllantus niruri part 2 Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 95(2-3):399-404.
- Ciprani, T. R., Mellinger, C. A., de Souze, L. M. and Lacomini, M. (2008). Acidic heteroxylans from medicinal plants and their anti-ulcer activity Journal of Cancer Policy 74:274-278.
- Govid, P., Madhuri, S. and Sahni, Y. P. (2012). Beneficial effect of certain herbal supplements on the health and disease resistance in fish. Novel Science International Journal of Plant Science 1: 497-500.
- Harish, R. and Shivanandappa, T. (2006). Antioxidant activity and hepatoprotective potential of Phyllantus niruri. Food chemistry 98(2):180-185.
- Hasain, M. K., Plumenthale, E. J. and Mustapha, A. (2013). Effect of puerain on reduction of glucose and promotion of overall health of acutely stressed Chinock Salmon (Oncorhynchus tehawytsha). Acta Icthyologica et Iscatoria. 43:85-93.
- Ibrahim, M., Khan, M., Rinard, J. and Mustapha, A. (2015). Determination of effective dosage of Phyllantus niruri to modulate stress in tilapia. Oreochromis niloticus. Bioengineering and Biosciences. 3(4): 67-71.
- Morah, F.N.I. (1986). Naturally occurring fish poisons. Journal of Science Education 2(1): 1-4.
- Morah, F.N.I. (1993). Toxic constituents of Adenia species. Discovery and Innovations. 5(2): 111-113.
- Morah, F.N.I., Ekanem, A. and Ashipu, L. B. (2015). Effect of Momordica charantia leaf on water parameters and survival rate of Clarias gariepinus. International Journal of current research in Life Sciences. 4(11):449-451.
- Obidike,I., Okhale, S., Aboh, M. and Salawu, O. A. (2013). Isolation, fractionation and evaluation of the antiplasmodial properties of Phyllantus niruri resident in its chloroform fraction. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 169- 175.
- Okoli, C. O., Ezike, A. A., Akah, P. A., Udegbuna S. O., Okoye, T. C, Mbanu, T. P. and Ugwu, E. (2009). Studies on the wound healing and anti-ulcer activities of extract of aerial part of Phyllantus niruri L. (Euphorbiaceae). American Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 4(4) 118-126.
- Qian-catrone, J., Huang, S., Triuble, J., Li, H., Lin, P., Alan, A., Vlohr, S. E. and Kadow, I. F. (1990). Niruriside, a new HIV REV/RRF binding inhibitor from Phyllantus niruri. Journal of Natural Products 50(2):196-199.
- Rajesbwar, Y., Ahmed, R., Shyma, A., Sunda, J., Gupta, D. A. and Mazumder, U. K. (2008). In vivio lipid peroxidation inhibitory and antimirocbial activity of Phyllantus niruri extract. International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 7:67-70.
- Shakil, N.A., Panka, T., Kumar, J., Pandey, R. K. and Sexen, D. B. (2008). Nematocidal activity of mphenylated flavonoids from Phyllantus niruri. Phyotchemistry 69:559-564.
- Shead, A., Vickery, K., Pajcos, A., Medhurst, R., Frieman, J., Dixon, R. and Cossart,. (1992). Effect of Phyllantus plant extract on duck hepatitis B. virus in vivio. Journal of Anti-viral Research 18:127-138.
- Soh, P. N., Banzouzi, J. T., Mangombo, H., Lusakibanz, M., Bulubulu, F. O., Tona, L., Diamuini, A. N., Luyinodulu, S. N. and Benoit –Vical, F. (2009). Antipasmodial activity of various parts of Phyllantus niruri according to its geographical distribution. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 3(12):598-601.