Shift work sleep disorder
Shift work is associated with sleepiness and sleep disorders. Circadian rhythms are vital to sleep and health. Disruption in the circadian rhythms cause shift work sleep disorder. Many studies have been published to examine the impact of shift work sleep disorder on health and wellbeing. This paper is a literature review of shift work sleep disorder, associated health risks, and pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions.
Keywords: circadian rhythm shift work sleep disorder, health risks of shift work sleep disorder, pharmacological and non- pharmacological interventions for shift work sleep disorder
Dara House. Shift work sleep disorder. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 4(2)2018, 7-13.
- Boivin, D.B., & Boudreau, P. (2014, October). Impacts of shift work on sleep and circadian rhythms. Pathologie Biologie, 62(5), 292-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patbio.2014.08.001
- Costa, G. (2015). Sleep deprivation due to shift work. Handbook for Clinical Neurology, 131(1), 437-446. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-62627-1.00023-8
- Dall’Ora, C., Bell, J., Recio-Saucedo, A., & Griffiths, P. (2016, May). Characteristics of shift work and theri impact on employee performance and wellbeing: A literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 57(1), 12-27. https://doi.org/Retrieved from
- Figuerio, M.G., & White, R.D. (2013, April). Health consequences of shift work and implications for structural design. Journal of Perinatology, 33(S1), 17-23. Retrieved from CINAHL
- Hansen, A.B., Stayner, L., Hansen, J., & Anderson, Z.J. (2016, April). Night shift work and incidence of diabetes in the Danish Nurse Cohort. Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 73(4), 262-268. Retrieved from
- Jagannath, A., Taylor, L., Wakaf, Z., Vasudevan, S., & Foster, R. (2017, October). The genetics of circadian rhythms, sleep and health. Human Molecular Genetics, 26(R2), R128-R2138.
- Kalmbach, D., Pillai, V., Cheng, P., Arnedt, J.T., & Drake, C.L. (2015, December). Shift work disorder, depression, and anxiety in the transition to rotating shifts: the role of sleep reactivity. Sleep Medicine, 16(12), 1532-1538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep2015.09.007
- Liira, J., Verbeek, J.H., Costa, G., Driscoll, T.R., Sallinen, M., Isotalo, L.K., & Ruotsalainen, J.H. (2014, August). Pharmacological interventions for sleepiness and sleep disturbances caused by shift work. Cochrane Work Group. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009776.pub2
- Neville, K., & Velmer, G. (2017, November). A pilot study to examine the relationship between napping and fatigue in nurses practicing on the night shift. The Journal of Nursing Administration, 47(11), 581-586. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0000000000000546
- Niu, S.F., Chung, M.H., Chu, H., Tsai, J.C., Lin, C.C., Liao, Y.M., Chou, K.R. (2015). Differences in cortisol profiles and circadian adjustment time between nurses working night shifts and regualr day shifts: A prospective lognitudinal study. Journal of Nursing Studies, 52(7), 1193-1201. https://doi.org/Retrieved from
- Parveen, B., Cushing-Haugen, K.L., Wicklund, K., Doherty, J., & Rossing, M. (2013, April). Night shift work and risk of ovarian cancer. Occupational & Environmentsal Medicine, 70(4), 231-237. Retrieved from
- Ramin, C., Devore, E., Weike, W., Pierre-Paul, J., Schernhammer, L.R., & Eva, S. (2015, February). Night shift work at specific age ranges and chronic disease risk factors. Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 72(2), 100-107. Retrieved from CINAHL
- Slanger, T.E., Gross, J.V., Pinger, A., Morfeld, P., Bellinger, M., Duhme, A.L., Erren, T.C. (2016, August). Person-directed, non-pharmacological interventions for sleepiness at work and sleep disturbances caused by shift work. Cochrane Work Group. https://doi.org/10.1002/ 14651858.CD010641.pub2
- Souza, B.B., Monteze, N.M., Pereira, F.L., Magalhaes, J., De Freitas, S., Raimundo, M.M., Leal, G.G. (2015, March). Lifetime shift work exposure: associateion with anthropometry, body compositon,blood pressure, gluceos and heart rate variablility. Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 72(3), 208-215. Retrieved from CINAHL
- Stayner, L.T., & Demers, P. (2017, August). Night shift work and risk of breast cancer. Current Environmental Health Reports, 4(3), 325-339. Retrieved from Springer Link
- Wickwire, E.M., Geiger-Brown, J., Scharf, S.M., & Drake, C.L. (2017, May). Shift work and shift work sleep disorder: clinical and organizational perspectives, 151(5), 1156-1172. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.chest.2016.12.007