Major challenges and obstacles facing digital repositories in the digital era
In light of the technological and digital revolution and heavy dependence on digital resources, digital data saving has become a vital means that helps to keep and save intellectual productions. In fact, the digital repositories are one of the most important devices and records that contribute to the perpetuation of intellectual and scientific life. This paper aimed at shedding light on the challenges facing digital repositories, especially in light of the immense and continuous increase of data. It tries to identify those challenges and determine the solutions that can contribute to face them.
The lack of independent and detailed studies that tackled the challenges and focused on practical solutions was the reason behind conducting this paper. It targets collecting the related intellectual production and identifying the shortcomings and what is needed to be studied in the future, especially in light of big data and its impact on the continuity and development of digital repositories.
The survey methodology was used to gather studies and related literature and thus generalize the benefit and try to propose solutions. 15 Arab and foreign studies were covered which is estimated to contribute to achieving the goal of identifying the challenges facing digital repositories.
After reviewing Arab and foreign related literature and studies, the main results that came out of this paper, especially in light of the huge data, focused on the following challenges of digital repositories: intellectual property rights, the lack of qualified staff for content management, and huge budgets. A number of studies have suggested an approach to utilize modern technology and cloud computing to solve storage and saving problems. Others, however, considered cloud computing itself as one of the challenges of digital repositories. Some studies have emphasized the need to define a unified global policy for building digital repositories in light of Data ever-growing enormous size and the information and technical revolution, since the ultimate challenge was not due to technical and infrastructure problems.
This paper recommended the necessity of conducting specialized studies in finding applicable solutions to address the challenges and the optimal use of fuzzy logic and artificial intelligence techniques, the reduction of the dependence on the human component, and the reduction of the budgets of the salaries and training of employees to make them restricted only to building a strong infrastructure.
Keywords: Digital Repositories, Big Data, Cloud Computing, Intellectual Property, Virtual Archiving, IRB Scientific Research Ethics Board, Digital Repository Challenges
Shahad Ahmed Abdulgaffar. Major challenges and obstacles facing digital repositories in the digital era. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 6(1)2020, 6-25.
- Ahmed, Walaa. Digital Repositories, available at: http://w-ahmed17.blogspot.com/2015/11/blog-post_29.html, accessed: 24-3-2020.
- Omar, Iman (2011). The Origins and Evolution of Open Digital Repositories, available at: http://www.journal.cybrarians.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=607, accessed: 7-3-2020.
- Al-Tayyib, Zainab, Al-Riba’e, Al-Suleiman (2018). New information specialist roles for handling big data, available at: https://www.qscience.com/docserver/fulltext/jist/2018/2/jist.2018.16.pdf?expires=1585050506&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=42454D7AF0D7020BA9719BCCD50C644E, Accessed: 24-3-2020.
- Espinosa, J. Alberto; Kaisler, Stephen; Armor, Frank; Money, Wiliam H. (2019). Big Data Redux: New Issues and Challenge Moving Forward, Proceedings of the 52nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Available at: URI: https://hdl.handle.net/10125/59546, Received: 23-3-2020.
- Kaladhar, A.; Naick, B.R. Doraswamy; Rao, Somsaekhara (2018). Application of Big Data Technology to Library data: A review, International Journal of Library and Information Studies, Vol. 8 (2) Apr-Jun, 2018 ISSN: 2231-4911.
- Mannheimer, Sara; Pienta, Amy; Kirilova, Dessislava; Elman, Colin; Wutich, Amber (2018). Qualitative Data Sharing: Data Repositories and Academic Libraries as Key Partners in Addressing Challenges, American Behavioral Scientist 63 (5), 643-664
- Celjak, Drazenko; Bekic, Zoran; Cundekovic, Marko; Jertec, Ljitjana, Jertec; Millinovic, Jasipa, Zubic, Alen (2017). DABAR - the national infrastructure for digital repositories, University of Zagreb, University Computing Center, Available at: URI: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/DABAR-the-national-infrastructure-for-digital-Celjak-Bekic/ 197730c946f04f23bd38747426668f6b11b587f2, Received: 28-3-2020.
- Rosa, Calos; Craveiro, Olga; Dormingues (2017). Open Source Software for Digital Preservation Repositories: a Survey, International Journal of Computer Science & Engineering Survey (IJCSES) Vol. 8, No. 3, June 2017
- Ahsan, Babouri; Nabil, Aknoush (2017). Institutional digital repositories at the Algerian University: Preparing a mechanism to build and implement the digital repository of the University of Constantine 2 Abdel Hamid Mahri, Iraqi Journal of Information, vol (18), p (1,2), pp. 132-168
- Acharjya, D.; P., Kause (2016). A Survey on Big Data Analytics: Challenges, Open Research Issues and Tools, (IJACSA) International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 2, 2016.
- Mardis, Elaine (2016). The Challenges of Big Data, The Company of Biologists Ltd | Disease Models & Mechanisms (2016) 9, 483-485 doi: 10.1242 / dmm.025585
- Nagy, Salah (2016). Digital repositories of universities in Arab countries, Arab Center for Studies in Library and Information Sciences, Cairo, pp. 33-42, available at: http://acrslis.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/0/7/16070576/digital_repositories. pdf, accessed: 23-3-2020.
- McNally, James W. (2015). "Managing Big Data Issues Within a Research Data Repository: Dealing With the 21st Century Data Explosion, Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), Annual International Conference on ICT: Big Data, Cloud and Security Conference, Available at: https: //www.researchgate.net/publication/300053038_Managing_Big_Data_Issues_Within_a_Research_Data_Repository_Dealing_With_the_21st_Century_Data_Explosion/citations, Received: 23-3-2020
- Koga, Sadaharu (2015). Major challenges and solutions for utilizing big data in the maritime industry, World Maritime University, Master of Science.
- Hacken, Richard (2015). Big Data: Challenges and Opportunities for Digital Libraries, Brigham Young University, nternational Conference on Computing in Engineering and the Sciences, Available at: https: //scholarsarchive.byu.edu/facpub/1580, Received: 23-3-2020.
- CHEN, Jinchuan; CHEN, Yueguo; DU, Xiaoyong, LI, Cuiping, LU, Jiaheng; ZHAO, Suyun; ZHOU, Xuan (2013). Big data challenge: a data management perspective, Comput. Sci., 2013, 7 (2): 157-164, DOI: 10.1007/s11704-013-3903-7
- Salo, Dorothea (2010). Retooling Libraries for the Data Challenge, Ariadne Issue 64, Available at: http: //www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue64/salo/, Received: 23-3-2020.
- Kumar, Rajeev; Agrawal, Alka; Khan, Raees (2020). Managing Multimedia Big Data: Security and Privacy Perspective, Available at: https: //www.researchgate.net/publication/339584595, Received: 31-3-2020