Study of the service quality of private physical education and sport facilities: A case of Mugla province
The purpose of the study is to analyze special physical education and sports facilities' service quality. The study that to be made about sports facilities quality, usage, effectiveness that some of the major issues of sports on these days, is considered having an important place in basic field of sport. Residing people in the city center of Muğla created the scope of this study, therefore, individuals who participated in our research voluntarily created its sample. Based on ‘’Service Quality Assessment Scale’’ developed by Lam (2000) as a data tool, that adopted to Turkey revising validity and reliability by Gürbüz (2003) as a “Service Quality Assessment Form” was used in research. Furthermore, the demographic information form was applied to use as descriptive information in research. The sample group in the research was selected indiscriminately using a random system. Kolmogorov Smirnov normality test was used to analyze the data. One-way analysis of variance (One Way Anova) was used to determine the difference between the binary variables and the independent t-test. Significance level p<0.05 was taken. Statistical solutions were calculated by using a statistics program. t-test and one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) was used in the analysis of the obtained data and the correlation between various demographic factors was examined. There was no significant difference in terms of quality of service between the gender factor of the participants, the year of sports, and the frequency of doing sports per week. Again, in service quality analysis, a significant difference was found between the educational status factor and service quality. As a result, increasing the quality of service in special physical education and sports facilities is related to demand and customer satisfaction. It is thought that this situation can be changed by increasing the general education level of the society.
Keywords: Special Sports Centers, Service Quality, Muğla Province Instance
Umuray Tashkoprulu, Mehmet Bayansalduz. Study of the service quality of private physical education and sport facilities: A case of Mugla province. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 7(2)2021, 182-194.
- Afthinos, Y., Theodorakis, N.D., Nassis, P. (2005). Customers' expectations of service in Greek fitness centers'. Managing Service Quality.
- Akkoyun, İ. (2015). Perceived Service Quality in Local Government Fitness Centers (Elazig Province Example). Master Thesis. Fırat University Health Sciences Institute, Elazığ.
- Alexandris, K., Palialia, E. (1999). Measuring customer satisfaction in fitness centers in Greece: An exploratory study. Managing Leisure.
- Argan, M., Köse, H. (2009). Attitude Factors Towards Sports Supplements: A Study on Fitness Center Participants. Hacettepe University Journal of Sport Sciences.
- Aslan, M. (2006). Determination of The Service Quality Among Sport and Fitness Centers of the Selected Universities. Submitted to Middle East Technical Universıty, Ankara.
- Aycan, A. (2008). Variables Affecting the Service Quality Perceptions of Sports Tourists in Ski Centers. Ege Academic View.
- Boz, C. (2007). Total Quality Management Practices in Sports Facilities of Local Governments (Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Example). Master. Marmara University, Istanbul.
- Ceyhun, S. (2006). Service Quality in Sports Businesses. Ph.D. Gazi University, Ankara.
- Cimen, Z. (2003). Total Quality Standards in Sports Services. Istanbul University Journal of Sport Sciences, 11 (3), 13-17.
- Çimen, Z., Gürbüz, B. (2007). Total Quality Management in Sports Services, (1st Edition). Alp Publishing House. Ankara.
- Çoban, B. (2002). Public Expectations from Municipalities Regarding Sports Services. Ph.D. Gazi University. Ankara.
- Demirel, H. (2013). Service Quality in Businesses Offering Recreational Sports / Fitness Programs. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis. Ankara: Gazi University Institute of Health Sciences.
- Fişek, K. (1998). Sports Management in Turkey and the world. Bağırgan Publishing House, Ankara.
- Greenwell, F., Pastore, D.L. (2004). Perceptions of the Service Experience: Using Demographic and Psychographic Variables to Identify Customer Segments. Sport Marketing Quarterly.
- Güçlü, F. (2013). Perceived quality of service in fitness centers belonging to local governments (Ankara province example). Master Thesis, Abant İzzet Baysal University, Institute of Social Sciences, Bolu.
- Gurbuz, B. (2003). Reliability and Validity of the Turkish Version of the Service Quality Assessment Scale. Unpublished Master Thesis, Middle East Technical University.
- İlban, M.O., Özcan, K. (2003). Leisure Time According to Demographic Features a Research on the Differentiation in Evaluation Preferences (Nevşehir Example), Youth Leisure Time and Outdoor Sports Symposium, May. Ankara.
- Karasar, N. (2005). Scientific Research Method, (15th Edition) Nobel Yayın Dağıtım, Ankara.
- Kim, D., Kim, S.Y. (1995). QUESC: An Instrument for Assessing the Service Quality of Sports Centers in Korea. Journal of Sport Management, 9, 208-22.
- Kurtoğlu, T. (2006). Expectations of the People from Local Governments on Sports Services (Mersin Example). Master. Mersin University. Myrtle.
- Lam, E. T. C. (2000). Service Quality Assessment Scale (SQAS): An Instrument for Evaluating Service Quality of Health-Fitness Clubs. The unpublished Doctoral Dissertation University of Houston.
- Öztürk, M.A. (2014). Investigation and Comparison of Private Sports Enterprises Performing Recreational Activities in Izmir and Manisa Provinces in Terms of Service Quality. Gazi University Institute of Health Sciences, Ph.D. Thesis, Physical Education and Sports Department.
- Peşkircioğlu, N. (1999). ISO 9000 Applications in Quality Management (2nd Edition). National Productive Center. Ankara.
- Polat, E., Aycan, A., Üzüm, H., Polat, E. (2013). “Perceived Quality of Service Scale in Youth Centers” Validity and Reliability Study. Hacettepe Journal of Sport Sciences. 24 (1), 25-36.
- Savaş, N. (2012). Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction, and Customer Loyalty: A Study on Fitness Center Members, Master Thesis, Balıkesir University Institute of Social Sciences, Balıkesir.
- Theodorakis, N., Alexandris, K., Rodriguez, P., Sarmento, P.J. Measurin. (2004). Customer Satisfaction in the Context of Health Clubs in Portugal. International Sports Journal. Winter.
- Uçan, Y. (2007). Development of Perceived Service Quality Scale of Sports-Fitness Centers, Ph.D. Thesis, Abant İzzet Baysal University Institute of Social Sciences, Bolu.
- Ürer, B. (2009). The Importance of the Communication Suggestion System in terms of Management and Organization in Sports Service Institutions, Dumlupınar University, Institute of Health Sciences, Unpublished Master Thesis, Kütahya.
- Yıldız, S. (2009). Service Quality Models in Sports Services Based on Participation. Ege Academic View, 9 (4), 1213-24.
- Yüzgenç, A.A. (2010). Service Quality in Sports Services Provided by Local Governments (Ankara Province Example), Master Thesis, Gazi University Institute of Health Sciences, Ankara.