Diabetic Foot Ulcer (DFU) patients’ psychological reactions about reoccurring DFU
Foot ulcers are a problem for people with Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes is a lifelong condition that can cause amputation, pain, stress, vision loss, and peripheral neuropathy. These factors cause psychological effects on the individuals through which they are stigmatized. These lead to financial burdens due to their inability to work efficiently and effectively. Frequent hospital visits and admissions deprive the patient and their families of the fullness of life. This literature review examines past research about the psychological effects of Diabetes Foot Ulcers (DFU). Research shows that the psychological impact of DFU is complicated, leading to poor quality of life. This review will focus on the various psychological factors that can cause a poor quality of life and suggest interventions to improve the patients’ quality of life.
Keywords: Diabetes Foot Ulcer, amputations, ulceration, financial burden, stress, depression, psychological effects, emotional simulations, biological hemostasis, peripheral neuropathy, re-ulceration
Kwadwo Awuah-Baffour. Diabetic Foot Ulcer (DFU) patients’ psychological reactions about reoccurring DFU. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 8(1); 2022, 5-13.
- Armstrong, D.G., Boulton, A.J., & Bus, S.A. (2017). Diabetic foot ulcers and their recurrence. New England Journal of Medicine, 376(24), 2367-2375.
- Beattie, A.M., Campbell, R., & Vedhara, K. (2014). What ever I do it’s a lost cause. The emotional and behavioral experiences of individuals who are ulcer free living with the threat of developing further diabetic foot ulcers: A qualitative interview study. Health Expectations: An International Journal of Public Participation in Health Care and Health Policy, 17(3), 429-439. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1369-7625.2012.00768.x
- Crews, R.T., Schneider, K.L., Yalla, S.V., Reeves, N.D., & Vileikyte, L. (2016). Physiological and psychological challenges of increasing physical activity and exercise in patients at risk of diabetic foot ulcers: A critical review. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, 32(8), 791-804. https://doi.org/10.1002/dmrr.2817
- Everett, E., & Mathioudakis, N. (2018). Update on management of diabetic foot ulcers. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1411 (1), 153-165. https://doi.org/10.1111/nyas.13569
- Hingorani, A., LaMuraglia, G.M., Henke, P., Meissner, M.H., Loretz, L., Zinszer, K.M., Driver, V.R., Frykberg, R., Carman, T.L., Marston, W., Mills, J.L., Sr, & Murad, M.H. (2016). The management of diabetic foot: A clinical practice guideline by the Society for Vascular Surgery in collaboration with the American Podiatric Medical Association and the Society for Vascular Medicine. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 63(2 Suppl), 3S-21S. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2015.10.003
- Jeffcoate, W.J., Vileikyte, L., Boyko, E.J., Armstrong, D.G., & Boulton, A. (2018). Current challenges and opportunities in the prevention and management of diabetic foot ulcers. Diabetes Care, 41(4), 645-652. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-1836
- Mavrogenis, A.F., Megaloikonomos, P.D., Antoniadou, T., Igoumenou, V.G., Panagopoulos, G.N., Dimopoulos, L., Moulakakis, K.G., Sfyroeras, G.S., & Lazaris, A. (2018). Current concepts for the evaluation and management of diabetic foot ulcers. EFORT Open Reviews, 3(9), 513-525. https://doi.org/10.1302/2058-5241.3.180010
- Del Core, M.A., Ahn, J., Lewis III, R.B., Raspovic, K.M., Lalli, T.A., & Wukich, D.K. (2018). The evaluation and treatment of diabetic foot ulcers and diabetic foot infections. Foot & Ankle Orthopedics, 3(3), 2473011418788864.
- Papathanasiou, I.V., Tsaras, K., Neroliatsiou, A., & Roupa, A. (2015). Stress: Concepts, theoretical models and nursing interventions. American Journal of Nursing Science, 4(2-1), 45-50.
- Smith-Strøm, H., Iversen, M.M., Igland, J., Østbye, T., Graue, M., Skeie, S., Wu, B., & Rokne, B. (2017). Severity and duration of diabetic foot ulcer (DFU) before seeking care as predictors of healing time: A retrospective cohort study. PloS One, 12(5), e0177176. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0177176
- Yazdanpanah, L., Shahbazian, H., Nazari, I., Hesam, S., Ahmadi, F., Cheraghian, B., Arti, H.R., & Mohammadianinejad, S.E. (2018). Risk factors associated with diabetic foot ulcer-free survival in patients with Diabetes. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome, 12 6, 1039-1043.