ICEV dimantling or recycling on a challenging environment
Nowadays Sustainability is a huge issue. Sustainability deals with the need for the protection of the natural environment and ecosystems health and requires innovation and commitment with the future. This manuscript uses the M|G|∞ queue system, modelling Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles (ICEV), normally cars but not only, which turn idle when conventional energy becomes scarce, or a new status quo is required. In such a case, they are recycled, becoming either EV-Electric Vehicles or HEV-Hybrid Electric Vehicles or FCEV-Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles, or are dismantled (DV-Dismantled Vehicles). Our model shows that when the rhythm ICEV become EV, HEV, FCEV and DV is greater than the rate at which they get idle the system tends to balance. In a cost-benefit analysis perspective, there are minimum benefits above which, both dismantling and recycling, are interesting. Additionally, the most interesting is the one for which the minimum benefit is the least.
Keywords: M|G|∞, sustainability, modelling, dismantling, recycling
Manuel Alberto M. Ferreira, José António Filipe, José Moleiro Martins, Mário Nuno Mata, Pedro Neves Mata. ICEV dimantling or recycling on a challenging environment. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 8(1); 2022, 58-70.
- López-Pérez, M., Melero-Polo, I., Vázquez-Carrasco, R. & Cambra-Fierro, J. (2018). Sustainability and Business Outcomes in the Context of SMEs: Comparing Family Firms vs. Non-Family Firms. Sustainability, 10(11), 4080.
- Fink, S., Brown, R. (2006). Survival Analysis. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). May; 2(5): 380-383. Retrieved May 28, 2018 from here (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC5338193/)
- Erlang, A.K. (1909). The theory of probabilities and telephone conversations. NYT Tidsskrift for Matematik B. 20, 33-39.
- Pollaczek, F. (1930). Ueber eine Aufgabe der Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie, Math. Z.1930.
- Kleinrock, L. (1976). Queueing Systems: Volume II - Computer Applications. New York: Wiley Interscience. pp. 576.
- Ramaswami, V. (1988). A stable recursion for the steady state vector in markov chains of m/g/1 type. Communications in Statistics. Stochastic Models. 4: 183-188.
- Kingman, J.F.C. (2009). The first Erlang century and the next. Queueing Systems. 63 (1-4): 3-4; Whittle, P. (2002). Applied Probability in Great Britain. Operations Research. 50 (1): 227-239.
- Ferreira, M.A.M. (2019). Laplace transform effectiveness in the M|G|∞ queue busy period probabilistic study. Proceedings of 18th Conference on Applied Mathematics- APLIMAT 2019, Bratislava 5th - 7th February 2019, vol. 1, pp. 304-312.
- Ferreira M.A.M., Filipe J.A. (2017). In the search for the infinite servers queue with Poisson arrivals busy period distribution exponential behaviour. International Journal of Business and Systems Research, vol. 11(4), pp.453-467. DOI: 10.1504/IJBSR.2017.087094.