Teaching science, chemistry and biology at the college/university level
When college students arrive in science classes, some are woefully unprepared, some are minimally prepared, and some, while well educated in high school have forgotten many of the basics in terms of basic science, basic scientific reasoning, and basic scientific procedures. This paper examines some of these issues, reviews some of the main areas of concern and delves into issues of formative evaluation and the issue of pre-requisite courses.
Keywords: teaching, science, chemistry, biology
Michael F. Shaughnessy, Juchao Yan, William Cooper. Teaching science, chemistry and biology at the college/university level. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 2(4)2016, 9-17.
- Kuhn, D., Amsel, E., O'Loughlin, M., Schauble, L., Leadbeater, B., Yotive, W. (1988) The development of scientific thinking skills. San Diego, CA., US; Academic Press.
- Kuhn, D. (2007) Reasoning about multiple variables: Control of variables is not the only challenge. Science Education, 91 (5) 710-716.
- Kuhn, D. (2002) What is scientific thinking and how does it develop? In U. Goswami (Ed.) Handbook of childhood cognitive development. Oxford, England: Blackwell.
- Kuhn, D. & Dean, D. (2004) Connecting scientific reasoning and causal inference. Journal of Cognition and Development. 5. 261-288.
- Kuhn, D. & Dean, D. (2005) Is developing scientific thinking all about learning to control variables? Psychological Science, 16, 866-870.
- Kuhn, D. Iordanoi, K., Pease, M., & Wirkala, C. (2008) Beyond control of variables: What needs to develop to achieve skilled scientific thinking? Cognitive Development 23 435-451.
- Kuhn, D. (2016) What Do Young Science Students Need to Learn About Variables? Science Education 100(2) 392-402.
- Lehrer, R., Schauble, L., & Petrosino, A.J. (2001) Reconsidering the role of experiment in science education. In K. Crowley, C. Schunn, & T. Okada (Eds), Designing for science: Implications from everyday, classroom and professional settings (pp.251-277) Mahwah, NF: Lawrence Erlbaum Associated.