Occurrence and sources of Pentacyclic Triterpenol methyl ethers and alkanones as molecular indicators in suspended particulate matter from Great Kwa River, Southeast Nigeria
Occurrence and source identification of Pentacyclic Triterpenol methyl ethers and alkanones as molecular indicators in suspended particulate matter obtained during high and low tides from Great kwa River, South East, Nigeria were characterized using gas chromatography- mass spectrometry (GC-MS) technique. Pentacyclic Triterpenol methyl ethers (PTMEs), taraxer-12-en-3-one, taraxer-14-en-3-one, taraxerone, taraxerol, miliacin, β-amyrin methyl ether, α-amyrin methyl ether, β-amyrenyl acetate, α-amyrenyl acetate and friedelin were characterized in the suspended particulate matter. Alkanones such as 6,10, 14-trimethyl pentadecan-2-one, pentacosan-2-one, heptacosan-2-one, octacosan-2-one, nonacosan-2-one, triacontan-2-one, hentriacosan-2-one, dotriacotan-2-one and tritriacotan-2-one were also found. These distinct compounds are useful for assessing diagenetic transformation that occurs during transportation of organic detritus. PTMEs are biomarkers of specific higher plants species, while alkanones are indication of direct microbial oxidation of the n-alkanes derived from epicuticular vascular plant wax. The presence of taraxerol and its ketonic counterpart taraxerone in the sample was an indication of dominant inputs from the study area vegetation and also reflect the oxidation and direct biological inputs. The accumulation of these compounds during low tide than high tide was due to sedimentation and oxidative process of the organic matter.
Keywords: PTMEs, alkanones, sources, occurrence, SPM, molecular indicators
Nna Prince Joe, Nwineewii Jack Dumka. Occurrence and sources of Pentacyclic Triterpenol methyl ethers and alkanones as molecular indicators in suspended particulate matter from Great Kwa River, Southeast Nigeria. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 2(4)2016, 18-28.
- Basyuni, M., Oku, H., Baba, S. Takara, K. & Iwasaki, H. (2002). Isoprenoids of okinawan mangroves as lipid input into estuarine ecosystem. Journal of Oceanography Vol. 63(4). 601-608.
- Cranwell, P.A. (1984). Organic geochemistry of lacustrine sediments: triterpenoids of higher plant origin reflecting post-glacial vegetational succession, in lake sediments and environmental history. E.V. Harworth and J.W Lund, Eds, Leicester University Press, Leicester, UK.
- Cross River Basin Development Authority (CRBDA) 1982: Inventory of Natural site conditions: soils, slopes, hydrology, land use and vegetation throughout the area of operation of the authority. Prog. Rep. 4. pp. 1-45.
- Elias, V.O., Simoneit, B.R.T., Pereiva, A.S., Cabral, J.A. & Cardoso, J.N. (1999). Detection of high molecular weight organic tracers in vegetation smokes samples by high termperature gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, environmental science and technology Vol. 33(14).
- Jacob, J. Disnar, J.R., Boussafir, M., Albuguergue, L.S.A. Sifeddine, A. & Tureq, B. (2007). Constrasted distributions of triterpene derivatives in the sediments of lake Caco reflect paleoenvironmental changes during the last 20,000 years in NE Brazil. Orgnic Geochemistry Vol. 38(2).
- Jacob, J., Disnar, J.R., Boussafir, M., Albuguergue, L.S.A. Sifeddine, A. & Tureq, B. (2005). Pevitalydic triterpene methyl eithers in recent lacustrine sediments (Lagoa do Caco, Brazil). Organic Geochemistry, Vol. 36 (3).
- Jaffe, R., Rushdi, A.L., Medeiros, P.M. & Simoneit, B.R.T. (2006). Natural product biomarkers as indicators of sources and transport of sedimentary organic matter in a subtropical river. Chemosphere Vol. 64(11) (1870-1884).
- Koch, B.P., Souza, Filho, P.W.M., Behling, H., Cohen, M.C.S., Kattner, G., Rullkotter, J., Scholz-Botcher, B., Lara, R. (2011). Triterpenoids in mangrove sediments as a proxy for organic matter derived from the red mangrove (Rhizophoro mangle). Organic Geochemistry Vol. 42.
- Mahato, S.B. & Sen, S. 91997). Advances in triterpenoid research, 1990-1994, phytochemistry Vol. 44(7).
- Nna, P.J. (2014). Organic geochemical characterization of lipids and hydrocarbon in suspended particulate matter from the great Kwa River, South-East, Nigeria. An unpublished M.Sc. thesis submitted to the department of Chemistry, University of Calabar, Nigeria.
- Orok, E.O., John, O.O., Ekpo, B.O and Adie, P.A. (2012). Anthropogenic PAHs in mangrove sediment of the Calabar Rivers, SE Niger Delta, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Geochemistry.
- Oyo-Ita, O.E., Ekpo, B.O., Oros, D.R. & Simoneit, B.R.T. (2010). Occurrence and sources of triterpenoid methyl Ethers and Acetates in sediments of the Cross-River system, South Easth Nigeria. International Journal of Analytical Chemistry.
- Pereira, A.S., Signeira, D.S., Elias, V.O., Simoneit, B.R.T., Cabral, J.a. and Aguino Neto, F.R. (2002). Three series of high molecular weight alkanoates found in amazorian plants. Phytochemistry Vol. 6(6).
- Sandison, C.M., Alexander, R., Kugi, R.T. & Boreham, C.J. (2003). Early diagenetic transformation of organic matter in a marine-influenced lignite. Organic Geochemistry Vol. 34(8).
- Simoneit, B.R.T (2002). Molecular indicators (biomarkers) of past life, anatomical record, Vol. 268 (3) pp. 186-195.
- Simoneit, B.R.T. (1978). Organic chemistry of marine sediments S. In: Riley. J.P., Chester R. (Eds). Chemical oceanography. Second ed. academic press. New York pp. 233-311.
- Simoneit, B.R.T. (1998). Biomarker PAHs in the environment, in “the Handbook of environmental chemistry, PAHs and related compounds. A.H. Neilson, Ed. Vol. 3.
- Simoneit, B.R.T. (2008). Natural products as biomarkers tracers in environmental and geological processes, in selected topics in the chemistry of natural Products, R. Ikan Ed. Pp 77-126, world scientific publishing, Singapore.
- Simoneit, B.R.T., Xu, Y.P., Neto, R.R., Cloutier, J.B. & Jaffe, R. (2009). photochemical alteration of 3-oxygenated triterpenoids: Implications for the orizin of 3, 4 –seco-triterpenoids in fresh water sediments. chemosphere 74.
- Wang, Z.H, Lui, Z.H.Y & Xie, S. (2003). Features of lipids and their implications in soils from various climate vegetation regions. Acta pedologica sinica 40, 967-970.
- Xie, S.Y., Y., Huaug, J., Hu, C., Cai, Y., Collins, M. & Baker, A. (2003). Lipid distribution in subtropical Southern China stalagmite as a record of soil ecosystem response to paleoclimate change. Quaternary Research 60. 340-347.