Civil identification with DNA profiles databases using Bayesian Networks
In forensic identification problems it is common the use of DNA profiles. The first bases of DNA profiling data emerged in England in 1995 having raised new challenges in the context of forensic identification. In Portugal the legislation that allowed the creation of a DNA profile database was set in 2008. In this work it is intended to discuss how to properly use the databases in the recognition of bodies problem that compiles information about missing individuals which are known to belong to one or more families whose members have reported the disappearance of relatives.
Keywords: DNA profiles, Identification problems, Bayesian networks
Marina Andrade, Manuel Alberto M. Ferreira. Civil identification with DNA profiles databases using Bayesian Networks. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 3(4)2017, 32-35.
- D. Balding (2002). The DNA Database Controversy. Biometrics, 58 (1), 241-244.
- F. Corte-Real (2004). Forensic DNA Databases. Forensic Science International, S143-S144.
- M. Andrade, M. A. M. Ferreira (2007). Analysis of a DNA mixture sample using object-oriented Bayesian networks. 6th International Conference APLIMAT 2007; Bratislava; Slovakia,295-305
- M. Andrade, M. A. M. Ferreira (2009). Criminal and Civil Identification with DNA Databases Using Bayesian Networks. International Journal of Security, 3 (4), 65-74.
- M. Andrade, M. A. M. Ferreira (2010). Evaluation of paternities with less usual data using Bayesian networks. Proceedings - 2010 3rd International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Informatics, BMEI 2010, Yantai, China. Volume 6, 2010, Article number 5639678, Pages 2475-2477. DOI: 10.1109/BMEI.2010.5639678
- M. Andrade, M. A.M. Ferreira (2010a). Civil Identification Problems with Bayesian Networks Using Official DNA Databases. APLIMAT – Journal of Applied Mathematics, 3 (3), 155-162.
- M. Andrade, M. A.M. Ferreira (2013). Simple Maternity Search with Bayesian Networks. 12th Conference on Applied Mathematics, APLIMAT 2013, Proceedings. Bratislava, Slovakia.
- M. Andrade, M. A.M. Ferreira (2014). Bayesian Networks use in simple maternity problems. Applied Mathematical Sciences, 8 (137-140), 6963-6967. DOI:10.12988/ams.2014.48617