Analysis of nanosciences and nanotechnology and their applications
The small world of matter is getting smaller and smaller. Nano sciences in recent years had huge developments allowing nanotechnologies to take enormous steps in the development of materials and processes. Numerous applications in a wide scope of fields are very beneficial for humans, and many researches in development are very promising. Applications in medicine, industry, electronics, energy, or aeronautics are only some examples of areas where enormous benefits exist, and potentialities are clear. Some nanotechnologies are already applied and others are in development or testing phases.
Keywords: Nanoscience, Nanotechnology, nanoscale, processes, medicine, industry, energy, devices
José António Filipe, Manuel Alberto M. Ferreira. Analysis of nanosciences and nanotechnology and their applications. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 8(2); 2022, 5-27.
- Asmatulu, R, Zhang, B., Asmatulu, E. (2013). Safety and Ethics of Nanotechnology. In: R. Asmatulu (Ed), Nanotechnology Safety, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2013, Pages 31-41.
- Bruns, B. (2000). Open Sourcing Nanotechnology Research and Development: Issues and Opportunities. Eighth Foresight Conference on Molecular Nanotechnology held in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, November 3-5.
- Coccia, M., Finardi, U., Margon, D. (2012). Current trends in nanotechnology research across worldwide geo-economic players. The Journal of Technology Transfer 37, 777–787. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-011-9219-6.
- Coelho, M., Filipe, J.A., Ferreira, M.A.M. (2010). On Commons, Anti-commons and Tragedies. In António Romão, Joaquim Ramos Silva and Manuel Ennes Ferreira (Org), Livro de Homenagem ao Prof. Dr. Adelino Torres – Edições Almedina, SA (Coimbra, Portugal), Colecção Ciências Económicas Series, 2ª Série, nº 14, pp 587-600. Lisboa. ISBN 987-972-40-4404-0.
- Eisenberg, R. (2019). Chapter 2: Anticommons, transaction costs, and patent aggregators (pp 27-46). In Ben Depoorter, Peter Menell and David Schwartz (Eds.), Research Handbook on the Economics of Intellectual Property Law - Vol 1: Theory Vol 2: Analytical Methods. Research Handbooks in Law and Economics series.
- Ferreira, M.A.M., Filipe, J.A. (2018). Nanotechnology applications: the future arrived suddenly (Chapter 2). Pp 23-42. In Ayesha Sohail, Zhiwu Li (Eds.), Computational approaches in biomedical nano-engineering - Wiley (Germany).
- Filipe, J.A. (2015). Commons, Anti-commons, Cooperation and Fair Economy: A Reflection (Chapter 7, pps 147-164). In José António Filipe, Nikos Nagopoulos, Kostas Rontos and Ioannis Vavouras (Eds.), Towards A Society with a More Fair Economy or an Economy with a More Social Face: The Contribution of Scientific Social Knowledge to the Alternative Models of Socioeconomic Development - Nova Science Publishers, Inc. (USA).
- Filipe, J.A. (2016). Anti-Commons, Regulation and Tourism: How to Avoid the Economic Destruction of Value (Chapter 3). In Kostas Rontos, José António Filipe and Paris Tsartas (Eds.), Modeling and New Trends in Tourism: A Contribution to Social and Economic Development - Nova Science Publishers, Inc. (USA).
- Filipe, J.A., Ferreira, M., Coelho, M. (2008). Inefficient utilization of resources. An anti-commons view in the fishing sector: the aquaculture problem. Global Economics and Management Review, Volume XIII, Nº 2, pp. 81-88.
- Filipe, J.A., Ferreira, M.A.M., Coelho, M. (2011). Utilization of Resources: An ethical issue. The anti-commons and the aquaculture case (Vol 1, pps 63-79). In Costa, G.J.M. (Ed.), Ethical Issues and Social Dilemmas in Knowledge Management: Organizational Innovation - Hershey, USA: IGI Global.
- Filipe, J.A., Ferreira, M.A.M., Coelho, M., Pedro, M.I. (2012). Fisheries Problems and Bureaucracy in Aquaculture. An Anti-Commons View (Vol. 2, pps 51-64). In Emerging Issues in the Natural and Applied Sciences 2(1) - Progress IPS LLC.
- Heller, M.A. (1998). The tragedy of the anticommons: property in the transition from Marx to markets. Harvard Law Review. 111 (3): 621–688.
- Heller, M.A. and Eisenberg, R. (1998). Can Patents Deter Innovation? The Anticommons in Biomedical Research. Science. 280 (5364): 698–701.
- Hussain, C.M., Mishra, A.K. (Eds.) (2018). Nanotechnology in Environmental Science, 2 Volumes. Wiley.
- Karn, B., Roco, M. (workshop Organizers), Masciangioli, T., Savage, N. (Workshop Co-Chairs) (2003). Nanotechnology and the Environment – Report of a National Nanotechnology Initiative Workshop May 8-9, 2003. Arlington. V A. Sponsored by National Science and Technology Council, Committee on Technology, Subcommittee on Nanoscale Science, Engineering, and Technology.
- Mansson, A., Sundberg, M., Bunk, R., Balaz, M., Nicholls, I.A., Omling, P., Tegenfeldt, J.O., Tagerud, S., Montelius, L. (Nov. 2005). Actin-Based Molecular Motors for Cargo Transportation in Nanotechnology - Potentials and Challenges, in IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 547-555.
- Mathew, J., Joy, J., George, S.C. (2019). Potential applications of nanotechnology in transportation: A review. Journal of King Saud University – Science, 31, pp. 586-594.
- Murday, J. (2003). Foreword. In Ratner, D., Ratner, M.A. Nanotechnology and Homeland Security: New Weapons for New Wars. Prentice Hall. National Science and Technology Council, Committee on Technology (COT) - Subcommittee on Nanoscale Science, Engineering, and Technology (NSET) (2018). The National Nanotechnology Initiative Supplement to the President’s 2019 Budget.
- Reynolds, G. (2009). Nanotechnology and the Tragedy of the Anticommons: Towards a Strict Utility Requirement. 6:1 U Ottawa L & Tech J 79.
- Reynolds, J.G., Hart, B.R. (2004). Nanomaterials and their application to defense and homeland security. JOM 56, 36–39. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-004-0270-8.
- Ridge, S.J. (2018). A Regulatory Framework for Nanotechnology. Thesis. Naval Postgraduate School. Monterey, California.
- Roco, M.C. (2011). The long view of nanotechnology development: the National Nanotechnology Initiative at 10 years. Journal of Nanoparticle Research. 13, pp. 427–445. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11051-010-0192-z.
- Roco, M.C., Williams, R. S., Alivisatos, P. (Eds.) (1999). Nanotechnology research directions: Vision for the Next Decade. Springer (formerly Kluwer Academic Publishers) IWGN Workshop Report 1999. Washington, DC: National Science and Technology Council. Also published in 2000 by Springer.
- Serrano, E. (May, 2010). Nanotechnology and the Environment. Materialstoday Volume 13, Issue 5, Page 55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1369-7021(10)70089-4.
- Thiruvengadam, M., Rajakumar, G., Chung, I.M. (2918). Nanotechnology: current uses and future applications in the food industry. 3 Biotech.; 8 (1): 74. doi:10.1007/s13205-018-1104-7.
- Tomar, S.K. (2012). Innovative Nanotechnology Applications in Automobiles. International Journal of Enginnering Research & Technology, 1 (10).
- Ye, D., Chang, K., Ran, L., Xin, H. (2014). Microwave gain medium with negative refractive index. Nature Communications 5, 5841. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms6841.