Gaps between nursing education - to - nursing practice: The needed change now
The gap between nursing education and nursing practice keeps widening in the era of online education for nursing students. The current new graduates coming to the floor lack fundamental skills to thrive in this stressful environment. They are equipped with the science of nursing but are deprived of the art of nursing. They do not understand the essential practices of nursing. This is a significant challenge, and to solve this problem, there should be a bridge to reduce this widening gap between nursing education and nursing practice. The solutions are numerous, but competency-based education, rigorous preceptorship, and practice internships can clot this bleeding of unequipped new graduates.
Keywords: Competency-based education, internship to practice, preceptorship, nursing practice, nursing education, structural, interactionist
Kwadwo Awuah-Baffour. Gaps between nursing education - to - nursing practice: The needed change now. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 8(2); 2022, 28-34.
- Bennett, L.L. (2017). The gap between nursing education and clinical skills. ABNF Journal, 28(4), 96-102.
- Boyer, S.A. (2011). Vermont Nurses in Partnership Model. The Rural Nurse: Transition to Practice, 147.
- Hossler, C., & James IV, A. (2021). Competency‐based nursing: Reducing cost while maintaining or improving quality. The Journal of Competency‐Based Education, 6(2), e1247. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbe2.1247
- Kavanagh, J.M., & Sharpnack, P.A. (2021). Crisis in competency: A defining moment in nursing education. Online J Issues Nurs, 26(1). https://doi.org/10.3912/OJIN.Vol26No01Man02
- Loughran, M.C., & Koharchik, L. (2019). Ensuring a successful preceptorship. The American Journal of Nursing, 119(5), 61-65. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000557917.73516.00
- Nash, J., Kamel, T.C., Sherer, J., & Nauer, K. (2018). Implementing a perioperative nursing student summer internship. AORN Journal, 107(1), 83-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/aorn.12003
- Omer, T.A., Suliman, W.A., & Moola, S. (2016). Roles and responsibilities of nurse preceptors: Perception of preceptors and preceptees. Nurse Education in Practice, 16(1), 54-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2015.07.005
- Roush, K., Opsahl, A., & Ferren, M. (2021). Developing an internship program to support nursing student transition to clinical setting. Journal of Professional Nursing: Official Journal of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, 37(4), 696-701. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2021.04.001
- Ulrich, B. (2012). Mastering precepting: A nurse’s handbook for success. Indianapolis, IN: Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Wolf A. (2022). Adapting nursing programs to competency-based education. Nursing, 52(2), 12-13. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NURSE.0000806200.13094.90