Decentralized Wastewater Treatment System (DEWATS) as a modern approach for wastewater management in Egypt, review
The main aim of this study was to present a review about Decentralized Wastewater Treatment Systems (DEWATS) as a tool for wastewater treatment that could be applied in Egypt. In Egypt, from the south of Giza to Aswan (Upper Egypt), people live very near to the shores of the river Nile. The cities and big villages lie on River Nile and bounded with the river banks at one side and with mountains and desert from the other side. The great challenge is to save lands for domestic life and cultivation. The limited area and the finite available land between the Nile and the Mountain present difficulty for expansion and industrial and social development. Decentralized wastewater treatment systems (DEWATS) includes only such systems which are considered suitable for decentralized applications and dissemination in the case that qualified maintenance and operation cannot be expected.
Keywords: Decentralized, Wastewater Management, Upper Egypt, River Nile
Walid A. Attia, Ahmed S. Mohamed, Ahmed A. El-Taweel. Decentralized Wastewater Treatment System (DEWATS) as a modern approach for wastewater management in Egypt, review. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 1(4), 59-64.
- CAPMS, (2013), Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics, Egypt.
- Dzikus, A., (2009), Chief of Water and Sanitation Section II, Water-Sanitation & Infrastructure Branch, UN-HABITAT, Single wastewater treatment technology inappropriate for India.
- Heymans, C., J. Parkinson, (2004). U.K., driving policy change for decentralized wastewater management People-centered approaches, 30th WEDC International Conference, Lao PDR.
- Hoover, M.T., (2003), Scientific study of on-site system failure rates.
- Joubert, L., P. Flinker, G. Loomis, D. Dow, A. Gold, D. Brennan, J. Jobin, (2004), Creative Community Design and Wastewater Management. Project No. WU-HT-00-30.
- Metcalf, Eddy, (2003), Wastewater engineering: Treatment and reuse. New Delhi, Tata McGraw-Hill.
- Zurbrugg, C., D. Silke, P. Almitra, H.C. Sharatchandra, (2004), Decentralized composting of bio-waste-an overview of community and private initiatives.