The experience of the new nurse educator: The first year of transition: A review of the literature
The transition from the role of nurse clinician to nurse educator has been said to be a difficult journey. A review of the literature was undertaken to investigate the causes that create such a difficult transition. The following question guided the literature review as well as the discussion of such: What is the experience of the new nurse educator during the first year of transition? And what are the recommendations, if any, to assist those taking on this transition? As the literature was reviewed common themes began to emerge such as old vs. new role, interpersonal struggles, lack of preparation and guidance, politics and social aspects. These are reviewed in detail in the following discussion. Recommendations for practice to ease the transition also began to emerge and the literature was reviewed. It became apparent that an equal partnership between schools of nursing and new nurse educators was crucial to making transitions as smooth as possible as well as successful. These are also detailed in the following discussion.
Keywords: nurse, clinician, educator, nursing, school
Claudia Phillips. The experience of the new nurse educator: The first year of transition: A review of the literature. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 2(6)2016, 7-14.
- Anderson, J. (2009). The work-role transition of expert clinician to novice academic educator. Journal of Nursing Education, 48(4), 203-208. doi:10.3928/01484834-20090401-02
- Cangelosi, P., Crocker, S., & Sorrell, J. (2009). Expert to novice: clinicians learning new roles as clinical nurse educators. Nursing Education Perspectives (National League for Nursing), 30(6), 367-371.
- Culleiton, A., & Shellenbarger, T. (2007). Transition of a bedside clinician to a nurse educator. MEDSURG Nursing, 16(4), 253-257.
- Danna, D., Schaubhut, R., & Jones, J. (2010). From practice to education: Perspectives from three nurse leaders. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 41(2), 83-87. doi: 10.3928/00220124-20100126-01
- Dempsey, L. (2007). The experiences of Irish nurse lecturers role transition from clinician to educator. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 4(1), 1-12.
- Esper, P. (1995). Educational innovations. Facing transition - Nurse clinician to nurse educator. Journal of Nursing Education, 34(2), 89-91.
- Krisman-Scott, M., Kershbaumer, R., & Thompson, J. (1998). Educational innovations. Faculty preparation: A new solution to an old problem. Journal of Nursing Education, 37(7), 318-320.
- McAllister, M., Oprescu, F., & Jones, C. (2014). N2E: Envisioning a process to support transition from nurse to educator. Contemporary Nurse: A Journal for The Australian Nursing Profession, 46(2), 242-250. doi:10.5172/conu.2014.46.2.242
- McDonald, P. (2010). Transitioning from clinical practice to nursing faculty: Lessons learned. Journal of Nursing Education, 49(3), 126-131. doi:10.3928/01484834-20091022-02
- Neese, R. (2003). A transformational journey from clinician to educator. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 34(6), 258-262.
- Penn, B., Wilson, L., & Rosseter, R. (2008). Transitioning from nursing practice to a teaching role. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 13(3), 16p.
- Reid, T. P., Hinderer, K. A., Jarosinski, J. M., Mister, B. J., & Seldomridge, L. A. (2013). Expert clinician to clinical teacher: Developing a faculty academy and mentoring initiative. Nurse Education in Practice, 13(4), 288-293. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2013.03.022
- Schoening, A. M. (2013). From bedside to classroom: The nurse educator transition model. Nursing Education Perspectives (National League for Nursing), 34(3), 167-172.