Controlling effort of lahar flow in Sinabung Volcano
The Sinabung Volcano that has been inactive for 400 years suddenly erupted on 29 August 2010. This activity kept going until November 2010. After being idle for a while, Sinabung was back to be active on 15 September 2013. The fluctuating activity was going on until November 2016. Recorded that from 2013 until 2016, there have been almost a thousand eruptions. For the Sinabung activity, people living around the dangerous area, such as West, South, Southeast, and East slopes, had been evacuated. The controlling effort of lahar flow by government of Karo Regency is still non-structural. One of them to forming observer volunteer team of river height, and installing ARR+ equipment with Balai Litbang Sabo Yogyakarta to support the lahar flow early warning systems based society. On the other hand, local goverment collaborates with BWS Sumatera II to implement the structural lahar flow control. In 2017, few sabodams are going to be built in Lau Bekerah 1 River, Perita, and Perbaji, as an effort to protect the settlement and agricultural land on West slope. Besides, to mitigate, adapt the threat of lahar flow, and to prevent casualties and loss, it has been proposed some recomendation.
Keywords: Eruption, dome-collapse pyroclastic flow, lahar flow, the lahar flow early warning systems
Cosmas Bambang Sukatja. Controlling effort of lahar flow in Sinabung Volcano. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 2(6)2016, 53-65.
- C.B. Sukatja, Sudibyakto, RPGA Voskuil, 2013, Urban Risk Assessment of Lahars Flows in Merapi Volcano (Study Case: Muntilan Urban Area, Central Java, Indonesian, Journal of Geography, ISSN 0024-9521, Volume 46, No. 1, 62-68, June 2014.
- Danang Sri Hadmoko, Suprapto Dibyosaputro, and Widiyanto, 2015. Banjir Lahar : Pembentukan, Proses, Dampak dan Mitigasinya. Gadjah Mada University Press, ISBN 979-420-860-4, Cetakan Pertama: April 2015.
- Edouard de Belizal, Franck Lavigne, Danang Sri Hadmoko, Jean-Philippe Degeai, Gilang Arya Dipayana, Bachtiar Wahyu Mutaqin, Muh. Aris Marfai, Marie Coquet, Baptiste Le Mauff, Anne-Kyria Robin, Celine Vidal, Noer Cholik, and Nurnaning Aisyah.et al 2013, Rain-triggered lahars following the 2010 eruption of Merapi volcano, Indonesia: A major risk, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 261,2013, 330-347, Elsevier.
- Gilang Arya Dipayana, Henky Nugraha, Danang Sri Hadmoko, Dhandhun Wacaro, Aries Dwi Wahyu R., Fardyansari Cahyaningtyas. 2013. Estimasi Perubahan Morfologi Sungai Pasca Erupsi: Aplikasi Data LIDAR dan DEM Processing di Kali Gendol, Proseding Seminar Nasional Pendayagunaan Geospasial untuk Optimasi Otonomi Daerah, 2013.
- http:// dibi.bnpb.go.id, Data and information centre The national disaster management agency of Indonesia, BNPB, 2016)..
- http://sarianggriani-25.blogspot.co.id/2015/06/hidrologi-limpasan-permukaan.html.,downloaded September 12, 2016.
- Kementerian PUPR. 2016. Rencana Penanganan Banjir Lahar di Daerah Gunungapi Sinabung, Balai Wilayah Sungai Sumatera II, 2016.
- Republic of Indonesia, 2008. Government Regulation No. 21 Year 2008 on Implementation of Disaster Management, Article 1, paragraph 6.
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), 2015, Sendai Frame Work Disaster Risk Reduction 2015 – 2030, March 18, 2015.
- United Nations University, Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS) Institute, World Risk Index, 2016.