Leadership styles and personality variables: their effect on school performance
The purpose of this literature review, is to investigate the relationship between an educational leaders’ personality type and leadership style and their effect on school performance. Although leadership has been dissected and compared with personality in past literature, a scant amount of study (and information) has been conducted or is available, to support the theory of combinations of leadership styles and personality types. Multiple and current studies, have compartmentalized leadership style to transformational or transactional styles with the occasional obvious “no-fit” style to the previous to conduct relational research. Leadership is not relegated to only two styles. Styles change. Personality types, on the other hand, change in rare circumstances. Few studies have examined the variables of leadership style and personality types in current research. This literature review has the potential to lessen this gap by empirically studying these possible relationships. Implications and findings of this review could possibly identify links within existing leadership-personality literature as well as be helpful in guiding the development of future leaders at the instructional level.
Keywords: leadership, personality, variable, performance
Brian Evan Hurst. Leadership styles and personality variables: their effect on school performance. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 2(6)2016, 66-82.
- Ali, S.S., Azizollah, A., Zaman, A., Zahra, A., & Mohtaram, A. (2011, June). Relationships between personality traits and performance among school principals [Supplement]. Higher Education Studies, 1(1), 38-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/hes.v1n1p38
- Bass, B.M., & Avolio, B.J. (2004). Multifactor Leadership Questinnaire-5X Short Form [Measurement instrument]. Published instrument. Retrieved from www.mindgarden.com
- Burgess, R.G. (1983). Experiencing Comprehensive Education.
- Eyal, O., & Roth, G. (2010, August). Principals’ leadership and teachers’ motivation [Analysis]. Journal of Educational Administration, 49(3), 256-275. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09578231111129055
- Four Temperaments. (n.d.). In Four Temperaments - Wikipedia. Retrieved September 17, 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Four_temperaments
- Garcia, M., Duncan, P., Carmody-Bubb, M., & Ree, M. J. (2014, February 23). You have what? Personality! Traits That Predict Leadership Styles for Elementary Principals [Science Research]. Psychology, 5, 204-212. http://dx.doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/psych.2014.53031
- Glasscock, R. (1991). Leadership styles of chief executive officers in Texas community colleges (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/bitstream/handle/2346/12554/3129500 2456548.pdf?sequence=1
- Goldberg, L. (1993). The structure of phenotypic personality traits [Supplement]. The American Psychologist, 48, 26-34.
- Harms, P. D., Spain, S. M., & Hannah, S. T. (2011, May 14). Leader development and the dark side of personality [Supplemental material]. The Leadership Quarterly, 495-509. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.04.007
- Hogan, R., & Kaiser, R. (2005). What we know about leadership [Supplement]. Review of General Psychology, 9, 169-180.
- Ibjkun, W.O., Oyewole, B. K., & Abe, T.O. (2011). Personality characteristics and principal leadership effectiveness in Ekiti State, Nigeria [Supplement]. International Journal of Leadership Studies, 6(2). Retrieved from http://www.regent.edu/acad/global/publications/ ijls/new/vol6iss2/5_Ibukun_Oyewole_Abe_pp247-262_jm.pdf
- Jackson, C.W. (2008). An analysis of the emotional intelligence and personality of principals leading professional learning communities (Doctoral dissertation, University of North Texas). Retrieved from http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc6093/m2/1/high_res_d/dissertation.pdf
- Kenny, D.A., & Zaccaro, S.J. (1983). An Estimate of Variance due to Traits in a Leader [Supplement]. Journal of Applied Psychology. http://dx.doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.68.4.678
- Luenburg, F.C. & Ornstein, A.C., (2012). Development of Administrative Theory. In Educational Administration: Concepts and Practices (6th Ed.). Belmont, CA 94002 USA: Wadsworth.
- Marsiglia, A.J. (2005). The Relationship between Leadership and Personality [Research Report]. Retrieved from www.lead-inspire.com: http://www.lead-inspire.com/index.htm
- Marzano, R.J., Waters, T., & McNulty, B.A. (2005). The Research Base. In School Leadership that Works from Research to Results (p. 5). Alexandria, VA 22311-1714: ASCD/McREL.
- McCrae, R., & Costa, P. (1995). Trait explanations in personality psychology. [Supplement]. European Journal of Personality, 9, 231-252.
- Oyewole, B. K. (2013, January). Situational Factors and Principals’ Administrative Effectiveness in Ondo and Ekiti States, Nigeria [Supplement]. Journal of Educational and Social Research, 3(1), 211-216. http://dx.doi.org/105901/jesr.2013.v3n1p211
- Rautiola, J.D. (2009). Effects of leadership styles and student academic achievement (Doctoral dissertation, Northern Michigan University). Retrieved from https://www.nmu.edu/sites/DrupalEducation/files/ UserFiles/Files/Pre-Drupal/SiteSections/Students/GradPapers/ Projects/Rautiola_James_MP.pdf
- Ross, J., & Gray, P. (2006). School leadership and student achievement: The mediating effects of teacher beliefs. [Supplemental material]. Canadian Journal of Education, 29(3), 798-822. Retrieved from https://www.nmu.edu/sites/DrupalEducation/files/UserFiles/Files/Pre-Drupal/SiteSections/Students/GradPapers/Projects/Rautiola_ James_MP.pdf
- Ryan, J. (2009, April 29). The Three Fundamentals of Effective Leadership [Special section]. Forbes Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/29/vision-communication-judgment-leadership-managing-ccl.html
- Wong, R. (2010, May). Educational Challenge: The Meaning of Leadership in Hong Kong Schools [Supplemental Research]. Canadian Center of Science and Education, 3(2), 148-157. Retrieved from http://www.ccsenet.org/jouranl/index.php/es
- Yahaya, N., Taib, M., Ismail, J., Shariff, Z., Yahaya, A., Boon, Y., & Hashim, S. (2011, September 30). Relationship between leadership personality types and source of power and leadership styles among managers [Supplemental material]. African Journal of Business Management, 5(22), 9635-9648. Retrieved from http://www.academicjournals.org/ AJBM