Potency estimation on oxygen production of tree stage vegetation at the Himba Kahui urban forest in Palangka Raya
The research aims to (a) know the composition and structure of tree stage vegetation, (b) calculate the estimation of biomass stock, carbon and CO2 sequestration on the tree stage vegetation, (c) calculate the estimation of O2 produced from the tree stage vegetation, (d) analyze O2 supply needed by Palangka Raya residents related to the number of O2 produced by the tree stage vegetation. The research was conducted on Himba Kahui Urban Forest in Palangka Raya, located administratively at Petuk Katimpun, Bukit Tunggal and Palangka Sub-District on Jekan Raya District and also at Rungan Sub-District, Pahandut District. The object to study was the tree stage vegetation (stem diameter ≥ 20 cm), meanwhile the measurement estimation on biomass stock, carbon, and CO2 sequestration and O2 potential was worked with non destructive method using equation by Krisnawati, et. al. (2012), SNI 7724 (2011) and IPCC (2006). The result of this research indicates the number of the tree stage vegetation variants from 13 families and the dominance of Perupuk tree variant (Lophopetalum multinervium) with Important Value Index (IVI) at 36.65%. The highest vegetation density was dominated by diameter class of 25-29 cm (horizontal structure) and height class of 13-15 m dominated by vertical structure. The biomass stock, CO2 sequestration and O2 potential production of tree stage vegetation is 39.58 ton/ha, 18.60 tonC/ha, 68.28 tonCO2/ha and 49.84 tonO2/ha respectively. The need of O2 supply for Palangka Raya residents in 2014 was 217.82 tonO2/day or 217.820 kgO2/day and can be supplied by the O2 produced by the tree stage vegetation at Himba Kahui City Forest in Kota Palangka Raya.
Keywords: city forest, Palangka Raya, oxygen, trees
Yetrie Ludang, Ajun Junaedi, Patricia Erosa Putir. Potency estimation on oxygen production of tree stage vegetation at the Himba Kahui urban forest in Palangka Raya. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 2(6)2016, 93-100.
- Anonymous. 2013. Swamp and Mangrove Forest. http://aprak-we.blogspot.co.id/2013/03/hutan-rawa-dan-hutan-mangrove.html. Accessed on 19 November 2016.
- Central Bureau of Statistic. 2015. Palangka Raya in Number, Year 2015. Central Bureau of Statistic of Palangka Raya.
- Dahlan, E.N. 2004. Developing A Garden City Nuanced in Urban Forest. IPB Press, Bogor.
- Daniel, T.W., Helms, A. J., and Baker, S.F. 1995. Prinsip-prinsip Silvikultur. Second Edition. Marsono D, Translator. Yogyakarta: Gadjah Mada Press. Translated from: Principles of Silviculture.
- Forestry and Plantation Agency of Palangka Raya. 2011. Main Development Plan of the Himba Kahui Urban Forest of the Municipal Government of Palangka Raya.
- Hairiah, K., Ekadinata, A., Sari, R.R., Rahayu, S. 2011. The Practical Manual for Carbon Stock Measurement. Second Edition. Word Agroforestry Centre.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2006. Guideline for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, Prepared by The National Greenhouse Gas Inventories Programme. Eggleston H.S., Buendia, L., Miwa K., Ngara, T., and Tanabe K., (eds.). Published by IGES Japan.
- Krisnawati, H., Adinugroho, W.C. dan Imanuddin, R. 2012. The Monograph of Allometric Models for the Estimation of Tree Biomasses on Variour Forest Ecosystem Types in. Ministry of Forestry. Research, Conservation and Rehabilitation Development Agency.
- Lubis, S., Defri, Y. and Rudianda S. 2016. Estimation of Carbon Potential above the Ground at the Stand Level Poles and Trees In Forest City Pekanbaru. Jom Faperta UR Volume 3 No 1, February 2016.
- Sesanti, N., Edi, B.K. dan Mustika, A. 2011. Forest Optimization as the Oxygen Supply for Malang City. Journal of Regional and Municipal Spatial Development Volume 3, Number 1, July 2011.
- Soerianegara, I. and Indrawan, A. 2005. Forest Ecology of Indonesia. Forestry Management Department. Forestry Faculty of Bogor Agricultural Institute. Bogor.
- Standar Nasional Indonesia (SNI): 7724. 2011. Measurement and Calculation of Ground Base Forest Carbon Accounting. National Standard Agency of Indonesia. Jakarta.
- Sudaryanti, Y., Abdurrani M., Togar F.N. 2014. Diversity of the Tree Staged Plant Variant on the Peatland Forest at Baning Natural Park, Sintang Regency. Journal of Hutan Lestari Volume 2 No 1.
- Law of the Republic of Indonesia Number 26 Year 2007 on Spatial Development.
- Wibisono. I.T., L. Siboro and I.N.N. Suryadiputra. 2009. Plant Diversity of Peatland Forest. The Series of Peatland Forest Management. Wetlands International Indonesia Programe.
- Widyasari, N.A.E., Bambang, H.S., Solichin, Istomo. 2010. Estimation of Biomass and Bonded Carbon above the Ground Level at Burnt Peatland Areas in South Sumatera. Indonesian Journal of Agriculture, Volume 15 No 1, page 41-49, April 2010.
- Wulandari, S. 2016. Diversity and Estimation of Carbon Stock at the Pekanbaru Urban Forest and Park. Proseeding for National Seminar on the Environment Preservation and Disaster Mitigation. Pekanbaru. 28 May 2016.