Investigation of the relationship between job satisfaction and career satisfaction and work-life balance in sports managers’
The aim of this study is to examine the relationship between job satisfaction and career satisfaction and work-life balance in sports managers. In the study, it has also been analyzed if there is any significant difference in the sports managers’ job satisfaction, career satisfaction and work-life balance levels in terms of gender, age, duty status, year of service and level of education. 322 sports managers, who work at Department of Sports Service’s Central and Field Organization at least as a chief in the manager position, have been chosen with random sampling method and they have voluntarily participated in the study.
In the study, Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire, developed by Weis et. all. (1967) and adapted Turkish version by Baycan (1985), and career satisfaction scale, developed by Vatansever (2008), and work-life balance scales, developed by Apaydin (2011), have been used as data collection tools.
The survey form used as a data collection tool in the study included a personal information form consisting of 5 questions, questioning the gender, age, duty status, years of service and level of education. In the study, Pearson Correlation Analysis has been used for defining sports managers’ job satisfaction and career satisfaction’s correlation with work-life balance; T-test for binary grouping and Anova Analysis have been used for more than binary groups in order to determine if there is any significant difference in sports managers’ job satisfaction, career satisfaction and work-life balance levels in terms of the participants’ duty status, year of service and level of education.
According to the research results, it has been found that there is a positive correlation between sports managers’ job satisfaction, life satisfaction, and work-life balance levels. Also, the results show that there is a significant difference in the level of job satisfaction, career satisfaction, and work-life balance in terms of duty status, year of service, and level of education; however, the results reveal that there is no significant difference in terms of age groups and gender.
Keywords: Sports Manager, Job Satisfaction, Career Satisfaction, Work-Life Balance
Mehmet Bayansalduz, Senol Yanar, Yusuf Can. Investigation of the relationship between job satisfaction and career satisfaction and work-life balance in sports managers’. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 3(6)2017, 110-118.
- Akinci, Z. (2002). “Turizm Sektorunde Isgoren Is Tatminini Etkileyen Faktorler: Bes Yildizli Konaklama Isletmelerinde Bir Uygulama”, Akdeniz Iibf Dergisi, Sayi 4. 23.
- Apaydin, C. (2011). “Ogretim Uyelerinin Đse bagimlilik duzeyi ile is-yasam dengesi ve is-aile yasam dengesi arasindaki iliski”, TC. Egitim Bilimleri Enstitusu, Egitim Yonetimi ve Politikasi Anabilim Dali Egitim Yonetimi ve Teftisi Doktora Programi, Doktora Tezi, Ankara.
- Barnett, RC. (1999). “A New Work-Llife Model Fort He Twenty First Century”, Academy of Political and Social Science, 1999.
- Baycan, A. (1985). An Analysis of Several Aspects of Job Satisfaction between Different Occupational Groups, Bogazici Universitesi, Unpublished Master Thesis, Istanbul.
- Can, Y. (2016). Sporcularin Is Tatmini Spor Tatmini Ve Orgutsel Baglilik Duygularinin Yasam Tatmini Uzerindeki Etkisinin Incelenmesi. Journal of Human Sciences, 13(3), 5248-5256. Doi:10.14687/Jhs.V13i3.4237
- Chacko, TI. (1983). “Job and Life Satisfactions: A Causal Analysis of Their Relationships”, Academy of Management Journal, Vol: 26, No: 1.
- Clark, SC. (2000). “Work/Family Border Theory: A New Theory of Work/Family Balance”. Human Relations.
- Cekmecelioglu, HG. (2005). “Orgut Ikliminin Is Tatmini Ve Isten Ayrilma Niyeti Uzerinedeki Etkisi: Bir Arastirma”, C.U. Iktisadi Ve Idari Bilimler Fakultesi Dergisi, Cilt: 6, No:2, (2005), S.28.
- Davis, K. (1982). Isletmede Insan Davranisi Orgutsel Davranis (Cev. Kemal Tosun Ve Digerleri). Istanbul: Istanbul Universitesi Yayinlari 1988.
- Deniz, M. (2005) “Bir Tutum Cesidi Olarak Is Doyumu”, Orgutsel Davranis Boyutlarindan Secmeler, Ed. Mehmet Tikici, Ankara, Nobel Yayini.2005.
- Dobson, R., Backman A., Keegon D. (2007). “Factors Associated with Career Satisfaction among General Practitioners in Canada”, Can J. Rural Med, Vol.12, No.4, Pp. 217-230.
- Gattiker, U.E., Larwood, L. (1988). Predictors for managers’ career mobility, success, and satisfaction. Human relations, 41(8), 569-91.
- Gercek, M. Atay, S.E. Dundar, G. (2015). “Calisanlarin Is - Yasam Dengesi Ile Kariyer Tatmininin, Isten Ayrilma Niyetine Etkisi" Kau Iibf Dergisi, 6(11), 67-86.
- Heller D., Timothy A., Judge, DW. (2002). The Confounding Role Of Personality And Trait Affectivity In The Relationship Between Job And Life Satisfaction. Journal of Organizational Behaviour, Vol.23, (2002), pp. 815-35.
- Heslin, PA. (2005). Conceptualizing and Evaluating Career Success, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 26, 113–36.
- Kirbaslar, M., Elmas, S., Dundar, G. (2014). Is- Yasam Dengesinin Calisanlarin Kariyer Tatmini Ile Iliskilerine Yonelik Bir Inceleme. 2. Orgutsel Davranis Kongresi, Kayseri, 639-644
- Laschinger, HKS. (2012). Job and Career Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions of Newly Graduated Nurses. Journal of Nursing Management, 20(4), 472-484.
- Ozgen H, Yalcin A. (2010). Insan Kaynaklari Yonetimi Staratejik Bir Yaklasim. Nobel Publications.
- Pichler, F. (2009). Determinants of Work-Life Balance: Shortcomings in The Contemporary Measurement of Wlb in Large-Scale Surveys, Social Indicators Research Vol. 92, No. 3 (Jul., pp. 449-69.
- Veenhoven R. (1996). “Developments in Satisfaction Research” Social Indicators Research, Vol.37, pp.1-46.
- Saari LM., Judge TA. (2004). “Employee Attitudes and Job Satisfaction”, Human resource Management, Vol.43, No.4, pp. 395-407.
- Vatansever, C. (2008). Work and Non-Work Life Balance, and its Relation to Organizational Commitment and Career Satisfaction, Basilmamis Doktora Tezi, Marmara Universitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitusu, Ingilizce Isletme Anabilim Dali.
- Wagner, JA., Hollenbeck, JR. (2010). Organizationalbehavior: Securing Competitive Advantage, Routledge, New York.
- Weiss, DJ., Dawis, RV. England, GW. and Lofquist, LH. (1967). Manual for the Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire. Vol. 22, Minnesota Studies in Vocational Rehabilitation, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, Industrial Relations Center.
- Yuksel, O. (2000). Insan Kaynaklari Yonetimi, Gazi Kitabevi, Ankara.