Investigation of relationship between organizational support perception and organizational commitment and career satisfaction in sports managers
The aim of this study is to analyze sports managers’ organizational support perception, organizational commitment sensation’s correlation with career satisfaction. In the study, it has also been analyzed if there is any significant difference in the sports managers’ organizational support perception, organizational commitment sensation, and career satisfaction levels in terms of gender, age, duty status, year of service and level of education.
In the study, 186 sports managers, who work at Department of Sports Service’s Central and Field Organization at least as a chief in the manager position, have been chosen with random sampling method and they have voluntarily participated in the study.
In the study, the organizational support perception scale Developed by Eisenberger et al. (1986) and adapted to Turkish version by Giray, M.D. and Sahin, N.D. (2012), Organizational Commitment Scale developed by Meyer and Allen (1991) and adapted to Turkish by Wasti (2000), career satisfaction scales developed by Vatansever (2008) have been used as a data collection tool. The survey form used as a data collection tool in the survey included a personal information form consisting of 5 questions, questioning the gender, age, duty status, years of service and level of education.
In the study, Pearson Correlation Analysis has been used for defining sports managers’ organizational support perception, correlation of organizational commitment sensation with career satisfaction; T-test for binary grouping and Anova Analysis have been used for more than binary groups in order to determine if there is any significant difference in sports managers’ organizational support perception, organizational commitment sensation, and career satisfaction levels in terms of the participants’ duty status, year of service and level of education.
According to the research results, it has been found that there is a positive correlation between sports managers’ organizational support perception, organizational commitment sensation, and career satisfaction levels. Also, the results show that there is a significant difference in the level of organizational support prediction, organizational commitment sensation in terms of duty status, year of service, and level of education; however, the results reveal that there is no significant difference in terms of age groups and gender.
Keywords: Sports Manager, Organizational Support Perception, Organizational Commitment, Career Satisfaction
Yusuf Can, Mehmet Bayansalduz. Investigation of relationship between organizational support perception and organizational commitment and career satisfaction in sports managers. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 3(6)2017, 119-127.
- Allen NJ. and Meyer, JP. (1990). The Measurement and Antecedents of Affective, Continuance and Normative Commitment to the Organization. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 63, pp. 1-18.
- Armeli S., Eisenberger, R., Fasolo, P., and Lynch, P. (1998). Perceived Organizational Support and Police Performance: The Moderating Influence of Sociomotional Needs. Journal of Applied Psychology, 83(2), 288-97.
- Currie P. and Dollery B. (2006). Organizational Commitment and Perceived Organizational Support in the NSW Police, Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, Vol. 29, No. 4, p.741-56.
- Eisenberger R., Huntington R., Hutchison S. and Sowa, D. (1986). “Perceived Organizational Support”, Journal of Applied Psychology, 71(3), 500–507.
- Florence S., Vandenberghe C. (2003). “Organizations and Supervisors as Sources of Support and Targets of Commitment: A Longitudinal Study”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24(3)251-70.
- Gattiker UE., Larwood L. (1988). Predictors for managers’ career mobility, success, and satisfaction. Human relations, 41(8), 569-91.
- Giray MD., and Sahin DN. (2012). Algilanan Orgutsel, Yonetici ve Calisma Arkadaslari Destegi Olcekleri: Gecerlik ve Guvenirlik Calismasi, Turk Psikoloji Yazilari, Aralik 2012, 15 (30), 1-9.
- Greenhaus JH., Parasuraman S, Wormley WM. (1990). Race Effects of Organizational Experience, Job Performance Eveluation and Career Outcomes, Academy of Management Journal, 33(1)64-96.
- Heslin PA. (2005). Conceptualizing and Evaluating Career Success, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 26, 113–36.
- Johlke MC., Stamper CL. and Shoemaker ME. (2002). Antecedents to Boundary-Spanner Perceived Organizational Support, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 17(2), 116-128.
- Joo BK., Park S. (2010). Career satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention: he efects of goal orientation, organizational learning culture and developmental feedback. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 31(6), 482-500.
- Kaplan M., Ogut A. (2012). Algilanan Orgutsel Destek ile Orgutsel Baglilik Arasindaki Iliskinin Analizi: Otel Isletmelerinde Bir Uygulama. Suleyman Demirel Universitesi Iktisadi Idari Bilimler Enstitusu Dergisi, Cilt:17, Sayi: pp:387-401.
- Kraimer ML., Wayne SJ., Jaworski RA. (2001). Sources of support and expatriate performance: The mediating role of expatriate adjustment. Personnel Psychology, 54, 71–100.
- Kirbaslar M., Elmas S., Dundar G. (2014). Is Yasam Dengesinin Calisanlarin Kariyer Tatmini Ile Iliskilerine Yonelik Bir Inceleme. 2. Orgutsel Davranis Kongresi, Kayseri, 639-644.
- Laschinger HKS. (2012). Job and Career Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions of Newly Graduated Nurses. Journal of Nursing Management, 20(4), 472-484.
- Makanjee CR, Yolanda FH and Ilse LU. (2006). The Effect of Perceived Organizational Support on Organizational Commitment of Diagnostic Imaging Radiographers, Radiography, Vol. 12, p.118-26.
- Meyer JP., Stanley DJ., Herscovitch L. and Topolnytsky, L. (2002). “Affective, Continuance and Normatie Commitment to the Organization: A Meta-analysis of Antecedents, Correlates and Consequences”, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 61, pp:20-52.
- Meyer JP., Allen NJ. (1991). The three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment. Human Resource Management Review 1: 61-89.
- Meyer JP., Herscovitch L. (2001). “Commitment in the Workplace: Toward a General Model”, Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 11, pp. 299-326
- Natunann SE., Bies RJ., Martin CL. (1995). The Roles of Organizational Support and Justice During a Layoff. Academy of Management Journal, 89-93.
- Ozdevecioglu M. (2003). Algilanan orgutsel destek ile orgutsel baglilik arasindaki iliskilerin belirlenmesine yonelik bir arastirma. DEU. IIBF. Dergisi, 18:2;113-130.
- Turnley WH., Bolino MC., Lester SW., Bloodgood JM. (2003). “The Impact of Psychological Contract Fulfillment on The Performance of In-Role and organizational Citizenship Behaviors”, Journal of Management, 29(2), 187-206
- Vatansever C. (2008). Work and Non-Work Life Balance, and its Relation to Organizational Commitment and Career Satisfaction. Unpublished Phd Thesis, Marmara Universitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitusu, Ingilizce Isletme Anabilim Dali.
- Wasti S. (2002). Affective and Continuance Commitment to the Organization: Test of an Integrated Model in the Turkish Context. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, Vol. 26, pp. 525-50.
- Wasti SA. (2005). “Commitment Profiles: Combinations of Organizational Commitment Forms and Job Outcomes”, Journal of Vocational Bahavior, No:67, pp:290–308.
- Wayne S J., Shore LM., Liden RC. (1997). “Perceived Organizational Support and Leader-Member Exchange: A Social Exchange Perspective”, Academy of Management Journal, 40(1), 82-111.
- Yuksel O. (2000). Insan Kaynaklari Yonetimi, Gazi Publications, Ankara.
- Yuksel I. (2005). Is-Aile catismasinin kariyer tatmini is tatmini ve is davranislari iliskisi, Iktisadi ve Idari Bilimler Dergisi, Cilt: 19, Sayi: 2, 301-314.