Physical development and specific workability of professional basketball team over large period of time
The purpose of the present study is to optimize the training process of professional basketball players. The optimization to be done based on the physical development and the specific workability. Object of study are the indicators of physical development, specific physical, technical and tactical indicators of sport performance. The participants of the present study are 18 professional male basketball players playing as cadets in a Turkish professional basketball club. We have applied a complex test battery which examines general and specific physical skills. The test battery consists of 7 tests for specific physical workability and 5 tests for technical and tactical skills. The assessment data is compared with previously not published results from the estimation of the specific workability and on the same team with some changes in terms of players since then. The previous assessment has been conducted 2 years prior to the present study. In conclusion, we found that the selection of the team members has been done properly considering the requirements of the game. Although professional athletes, some of the participants of the study could be considered as overweight according to the standards. This requires some modulations on the dietary of the players. The values of most of the indicators of the physical workability and the specific technical and tactical skills remain without a significant change in comparison with the results estimated 2 years ago. The results of the study show that most of the examined sport specific skills remain relatively steady which should be positively valued because the training staff manages to maintain the level of sport performance for the last two years.
Keywords: Basketball, Professional Sport, Optimization of Sport Performance, Physical Development, Specific Workability
Şenol Yanar. Physical development and specific workability of professional basketball team over large period of time. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 3(6)2017, 128-136.
- Anderson, CE., Sforzo, G.A., Sigg, JA. (2008). The effects of combining elastic and free weight resistance on strength and power in athletes. J Strength Cond Res, 22 (2), 567-74.
- Andrejic, O. (2012). The effects of a plyometric and strength training program on the fitness performance in young basketball players. Facta universitatis-series: Physical Education and Sport, 10(3), 221-29.
- Anıl, F., Erol, E., ve Pulur, A. (2001). Pliometrik çalışmaların 14-16 yaş grubu bayan basketbolcuların bazı fiziksel ve fizyolojik parametreleri üzerine etkisi. Gazi Beden Eğitimi ve Spor Bilimleri Dergisi, 6(2), 19-26.
- Arazi, H., Coetzee, B., and Asadi, A. (2012). Comparative effect of land- and aquatıc-based plyometric training on jumping ability and agility of young basketball players. South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education and Recreation, 34(2), 1-14.
- Asadi, A. (2013). Effects of in-season short-term plyometric training on jumping and agility performance of basketball players. Sport Sciences for Health, 9(3), 133-37.
- Bavlı, Ö. (2009). Havuz pliometrik egzersizleri ile alan pliometrik egzersizlerinin adolesan dönem basketbolcuların biyomotorik ve yapısal özelliklerine etkisi, Doktora Tezi, Çukurova Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Adana, 48-62.
- Bavlı, Ö. (2012). Basketbol antrenmanıyla birleştirilmiş pliometrik çalışmaların bazı biyomotorik özellikler üzerine etkisinin incelenmesi. Pamukkale Journal of Sport Sciences, 3(2), 90-100.
- Bayansalduz, M. (2012). Analyzing the relationship between task and ego orientation, collective efficacy and perceived coaching behavior: A research on footballers. Energy Education Science and Technology Part B-Social and Educational Studies, 4(1), 481-494.
- Boyacı, A., Afyon, Y.A. (2017). “The Effect of the Core Training to Physical Performances in Children”. Journal of Education and Practice, Vol.8, No.33, pp.81-88.
- Brown, M. E., Yhew, M. Y. L., and Boleach, L. W. (1986). Effect of plyometric
- Cicioğlu, İ. (1995). Pliometrik antrenmanın 14-15 yaş grubu basketbolcuların dikey sıçraması ile bazı fiziksel ve fizyolojik parametrelerin üzerine etkisi, Yüksek Lisans
- Ergun, N. ve Baltacı, G. (1997). Spor Yaralanmalarında Fizyoterapi ve Rehabilitasyon Prensipleri. H.Ü. Fizik Tedavi ve Rehabilitasyon Yüksek Okulu Yayınları, 20. Ankara.
- Göllü, G. (2006). 14-16 yaş kız ve erkek basketbol öğrencilerinde iki aylık sadece pliometrik veya pliometrik ileyaygın interval antrenman programının birlikte uygulamasının fizyolojik değerlere etkisi. Unpublished Master Thesis, Eskişehir Osmangazi.
- Harris, GR., Stone, Michael, H., O'Bryant. (2000). Short-Term performance effects of high power, high force, or combined weight-training methods, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 14(1), 14-20.
- Kamalakkannan, K., Vijayaragunathan, N., and Kalidasan, R. (2010). Influence of aquatic training on selected physical fitness variables among volleyball players. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 3(7), 743-45.
- Khlifa, R., Aouadi, R., Hermassi, S., Chelly, M. S., Jlid, M. C., Hbacha, H., and Castagna, C. (2010). Effects of a plyometric training program with and without added load on jumping ability in basketball players. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(11), 2955-61.
- Krasnanska, L., Pupis, M., Izakova, A., Pivovarnicek, P., Cigan P. (2016). The effect of 5 weeks of plyometric and speed training program on the development of chosen specific indicators in basketball. Sport Science, 9(Supplement 2), 108-15.
- Liebermann, D., Katz, L., Hughes, M., Bartlett, R., McClements, J., & Franks, I. (2002). Advances in the application of information technology to sport performance. Journal of Sports SCiences, 755-69.
- Lyakh, V., Mikolajec, K., Bujas, P., Witkowski, Z., Zajac, T., Litkowycz, R., & Banys, D. (2016). Periodization in Team Sport Games- A Review of Current Knowledge and Modern Trends in Competitive Sports. Journal of Human Kinetics, 173-80.
- Martel, G. F., Harmer, M. L., Logan, J. M., and Parker, C. B. (2005). Aquatic plyometric training increases vertical jump in female volleyball players. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 37(10), 1814-19.
- Matavulj, D., Kukolj, M., Ugarkovic, D., Tihanyi, J., and Jaric, S. (2001). Effects of plyometric training on jumping performance in junior basketball players. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 41(2), 159-164.
- Petkov, S., Maznev, I., & Toteva, M. (2003). Manual on Sport medicine for Students of NSA. NSA Press.
- Rhea, M.R., Peterson, M.D., Oliverson, J.R., Ayllon, F.N., Potenziano, B.J. (2008) An examination of training on the vertimax resisted jumping device for improvements in lower body power in highly trained college athletes. J Strength Cond Res, 22 (3), 735-740.
- Robinson, LE., Devor, S. T., Merrick, MA., and Buckworth, J. (2004). The effects of land versus aquatic plyometrics on power, torque, velocity, and muscle soreness in women. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 18(1), 84-91.
- Shaji J., Isha S. (2009). Comparative analysis of plyometric training program and dynamic stretching on vertical jump and agility in male collegiate basketball player. Al Ameen Journal of Medical Sciences, 2(1), 36-46.
- Treiber, FA., Lott, J., Duncan, J., Slavens, G., Davis, H. (1998). Effects of Theraband and lightweight dumbbell training on shoulder rotation torque and serve performance in college tennis players. Am J Sports Med, 26 (4), 510-15.
- Usgu, G. (2016). Basketbol oyuncularında vibrasyon eşliğindeki pliometrik eğitimin fiziksel performans üzerine etkileri, Phd Thesis, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Ankara, 43.
- Гигова, В. (1999). Статистическа обработка и анализ на данни- практическо ръководство за студентите от магистърска степен на НСА. София: НСА-прес.