The effect of nutrition on sleep qualıty in junior female (aged 15-17) wrestlers
The success of the athlete is based on the achievement of the highest performance in sports. Due to the complex nature of sportive performance, the number of factors that affect performance is quite large. Two of these factors are nutrition and sleep patterns and quality. It is very important for children and young people who are doing sports to have good nutrition and good sleep qualities in order to increase their sporty performance. For this reason, in this research, it was aimed to determine the effect of nutrition on sleep quality in junior female wrestlers who are engaged in wrestling, which is a branch which requires strength, endurance, speed, calmness, concentration and self confidence. The sample of the study consisted of 117 athletes who have participated to the Turkey Junior Female Wrestling Championship (aged 15-17 years) that was organized in Aydin in 2017. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PUKI) was used to determine the last 1-month sleep quality of female wrestlers (α=0.77). The Turkish validity and reliability study was reported by Agargun and his friends (1996) as internal consistency coefficient of 0.80. Nutritional habits of female wrestlers were determined using the Nutrition Habits Questionnaire (BAA), consisting of 3 sections and 21 questions. It was found that there was a significant difference between the junior female wrestlers who pay attention to the liquid intake of pre-training and pre-competition and those who did not pay attention to the attentive athletes and this difference is favored by the athletes who pay attention (p<0.05). In addition, there was a significant difference between the athletes in terms of sleep quality (p<0.05), according to the time of the training and the refreshment meal before the competition and the meal after the training-competition. It was seen that the sleep quality of the female wrestlers who were eating 1-2 hours before the training and competitions and who were eating the protein after the training and competitions were better. In the results obtained, in junior female wrestlers (aged 15-17 years) was reached the result that the eating habit affects the sleep quality and the regular nutrition increases the sleep quality. For this reason, the coaches of the athletes in the junior female category should often warn to regularly feed their athletes. Having dietitians in the bodies of the clubs struggling in the category of junior female may be appropriate in terms of bringing regular sports nutrition to athletes. Thus, it is thought that the athletes may have improved sleep quality and increased performance due to regular eating habits.
Keywords: Nutrition, Sleep Quality, Wrestling
Halil Tanir, Erkan Cetinkaya, Mehmet Ozdemir, Ibrahim Bozkurt. The effect of nutrition on sleep qualıty in junior female (aged 15-17) wrestlers. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 3(6)2017, 166-172.
- Agargun M.Y., Kara, H., Anlar, O. (1996). Pittsburgh Uyku Kalitesi Indeksinin gecerligi ve guvenirligi. Turk Psikiyatri Dergisi, 7, 107-115.
- Alapin I., Fichten, C.S., Libman, E., Creti, L., Bailes, S., & Wright, J. (2000). How is good and poor sleep in older adults and college students related to daytime sleepiness, fatigue, and ability to concentrate? Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 49(5): 381-390.
- Bayraktar, B., & Kurtoglu, M. (2009). Sporda Performans, Etkili Faktorler, Degerlendirilmesi ve Artirilmasi. Klinik Gelisim, 22(1), 16-24.
- Baysal A (2002). Beslenme. Hatiboglu Yayinevi, Yenilenmis (9. Baski), Ankara.
- Bingol, N. (2006). Hemsirelerin Uyku Kalitesi, Is Doyumu Duzeyleri Arasindaki Iliskinin Incelenmesi. Yuksek Lisans Tezi. Cumhuriyet Universitesi, Saglik Bilimleri Enstitusu, Sivas.
- Buysse, D.J., Reynolds, C.F., Monk, T.H., Berman, S.R., & Kupfer, D.J. (1989). The Pittsburgh sleep quality index: A new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Research,28,193-213.
- Buysse, D.J., Reynolds, C.F., Monk, T.H., Hoch, C.C., Yeager, A.L., & Kupfer, D.J. (1991). Quantification of subjective sleep quality in healthy elderly men and women using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI). Sleep, 14(4):331-338.
- Ersoy, G. (1995). Saglikli Yasam, Spor ve Beslenme, Damla Matbaacilik, Ankara.
- Fadiloglu C, Ilkbay Y., & Yildirim Y. (2006). Huzurevinde kalan yaslilarda uyku kalitesi. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics, 9 (3):165-9.
- Gunes, Z. (2005) Spor ve Beslenme. Nobel Yayin Dagitim (4.Baski), Ankara.
- Karadag, M. (2007). Uyku bozukluklarinin siniflamasi (ICSD-2), Turkiye Klinikleri Akciger Arsivi, 8,88-91.
- Keshavarz Akhlaghi, A.A., & Ghalebandi, M. F. (2009). Sleep quality and its correlation with general health in preuniversity students of Karaj. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, 3 (1): 44-49.
- Koca, F. (2015). Evaluation of state and trait anxiety levels among students with no prior knowledge of skiing before and after the implementation of a skiing course. Anthropologist, 20(3), 485-491.
- Onurlubas E (2011). Tuketicilerin Gida Guvenligi Konusunda Bilinc Duzeyinin Olculmesi: Tokat Ili Ornegi, Gaziosmanpasa Universitesi, Tarim Ekonomisi Anabilim Dali, Fen Bilimleri Enstitusu, Doktora Tezi, Tokat.
- Onurlubas, E., Dogan, H.G., & Demirkiran, S. (2015). Universite Ogrencilerinin Beslenme Aliskanliklari. Gaziosman Pasa Universitesi Ziraat Fakultesi Dergisi, 32(3), 61-69.
- Suel, E., Sahin, I., Karakaya, M.A., & Savucu, Y. (2006). Elit seviyedeki basketbolcularin beslenme bilgi ve aliskanliklari. Firat Universitesi Saglik Bilimleri Tip Dergisi, 20(4), 271-275.
- Tosunoglu, A. (1997). Hastanede yatan yetiskin hastalarin uyku gereksinimlerini etkileyen etmenlerin incelenmesi. Yayinlanmamis Yuksek Lisans Tezi, Ege Universitesi Saglik Bilimleri Enstitusu, Izmir.
- Ziyagil, M.A. (2008). Sampiyon kikboksorun antrenman ilkeleri, Turkiye Kick Boks Federasyonu Spor Bilimleri Dergisi,1(1):13-22.