Destructive leadership in football: how to players perceive their coaches dark side?
Aim of this study was to investigate how to football players evaluate their coaches destructive leadership actions in relation with players characteristics. All male four hundred and sixteen football players participated and accepted to answer the Destructive Leadership Scale (DLS) (Uymaz, 2013) with a personal information form to get the demographic data. The participants consisted from all senior Turkish leagues including the Super League (n=63), League 1 (n=84), League 2 (n=135) and League 3 (n=134), the mean age was 25.27 (SD=4.31). The players’ position in the team were 44 goalkeepers, 134 defensive players, 179 middle field players and 59 offensive players. The six subscale of the DLS compared by league status, age group of players, educational status, working duration (in months) with the current coach, number of worked coaches during the career and the possibility of being in the first 11 players in last 3 months’ matches by ANOVA statistics. Before the statistical analyses, reliability coefficients of the DLS checked and there were satisfactory results. There was significant difference on the all six subscales (Excessive authority use, Lack of Leadership Competency, Lack of interest to subordinates, Resistence to technology and change, Unethical behavior and nepotism) comparing with the League Status variable. There was a bipolar distribution where Super League players and League 3 players’ subscale scores were mostly higher than League 1 and League 2 players. This result was interpreted as Super League and League 3 players mostly perceive their coaches more destructive than other leagues. Also the players who worked 0-2 years range with their coaches, percieved their coaches more nepotist and in lack of interest with their subordinates than the players who has 3-5 years of working years with their coaches.
Keywords: Destructive Leadership, Football Coaches, Leadership, Player-Coach Interaction
Erdem, Kamil, Karagozoglu, Cengiz. Destructive leadership in football: how to players perceive their coaches dark side?. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 3(6)2017, 75-85.
- Abdilla, D. (2017). The Coach as a Leader. UEFA PRO Diploma 2015- 2017.
- Ashforth, B. (1994). Petty Tyranny in Organizations. Human Relations, 47(7), 755–778. http://doi.org/10.1177/001872679404700701
- Bayansalduz, M., Afyon, YA., Kepoglu, A., Dalli, M., Mulazimoglu, O. (2014). Examination of Self-Leadership Characteristics of Football Coaches. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 152(0), 500–502. http://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.09.191.
- Bayansalduz, M. (2012). Analyzing the relationship between task and ego orientation, collective efficacy and perceived coaching behavior: A research on footballers. Energy Education Science and Technology Part B-Social and Educational Studies, 4(1), 481-494.
- Can, Y., Soyer, F., & Bayansalduz, M. (2009). Sporcularin Is Tatmini Ile Lider Bagliligi ve Orgutsel Baglilik Duygulari Arasindaki Iliskilerin Incelenmesi. Beden Egitimi ve Spor Bilimleri Dergisi, 3(3).
- Can, Y., Guven, H., Soyer, F., Demirel, M., Bayansalduz, M., & Sahin, K. (2010). The examination of the relationship between family-coach-club support and success motivation in elite taekwondo athletes. Journal of Human Sciences, 7(1), 240-252.
- Cushion, CJ., Armour, KM., Jones, RL. (2006). Locating the coaching process in practice: models “for” and “of” coaching. Physical Education & Sport Pedagogy, 11(1), 83–99. http://doi.org/10.1080/17408980500466995
- Einarsen, S., Aasland, M. S., & Skogstad, A. (2007). Destructive leadership behaviour: A definition and conceptual model. The Leadership Quarterly, 18, 207–216. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2007.03.002
- Field, A. (2009). Discovering Statistics Using SPSS. http://doi.org/10.1234/12345678
- Goldman, A. (2009). Destructive Leaders and Dysfunctional Organizations: A Therapeutic Approach. Cambridge University Press.
- Gunduz, M., & Bayansalduz, M. (2017). Turk Toplumunun Futbola Yukledigi Deger Algilarinin Ogretmen Adaylarinin Gorusleri Bakimindan Degerlendirilmesi. Journal of Suleyman Demirel University Institute of Social Sciences, 27(2).
- Harris, KJ., Kacmar, K. M., Zivnuska, S. (2007). An investigation of abusive supervision as a predictor of performance and the meaning of work as a moderator of the relationship. The Leadership Quarterly, 18, 252–263. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2007.03.007
- Jones, R. L., Wallace, M. (2005). Another bad day at the training ground: Coping with ambiguity in the coaching context. Sport, Education and Society, 10(1), 119–134. http://doi.org/10.1080/1357332052000308792
- Jowett, S., Kanakoglou, K., Passmore, J. (2012). Application of the 3+1Cs Relationship Model in Executive Coaching. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 64(3), 183–197.
- Jowett, S., Chaundy, V. (2004). An Investigation into the Impact of Coach Leadership and Coach-Athlete Relationship on Group Cohesion. Group Dynamics Theory Research and Practice, 8(4), 302–311. http://doi.org/10.1037/1089-2622.214.171.1242
- Kayri, M. (2009). The Multiple Comparison (Post-Hoc) Techniques to Determine the Difference Between Groups in Researches. Firat University Journal of Social Science, 19(1), 51–64.
- Kiazad, K., Restubog, SLD., Zagenczyk, TJ., Kiewitz, C., & Tang, RL. (2010). In pursuit of power: The role of authoritarian leadership in the relationship between supervisors’ Machiavellianism and subordinates’ perceptions of abusive supervisory behavior. Journal of Research in Personality, 44(4), 512–519. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2010.06.004
- Konter, E. (2009). Perception of Leadership Power of Coaches and Athletes. Turkish Psychological Counseling and Guidance Journal, 4(31), 61–68.
- Krasikova, DV, Green, SG., Lebreton, JM. (2013). Journal of Management. Journal of Management, 20(10), 1-31. http://doi.org/10.1177/0149206312471388
- Laios, a., Theodorakis, N., & Gargalianos, D. (2003). Leadership and Power: Two Important Factors for Effective Coaching. International Sports Journal Winter, 7(1), 150–154.
- Molan, C., Matthews, J., Arnold, R. (2016). Leadership off the pitch: the role of the manager in semi- professional football. European Sport Management Quarterly, 16(3), 274–291.
- Ramzaninezhad, R., & Keshtan, M. H. (2009). The Relationship Between Coach ’S Leadership Styles and Team Cohesion in Iran Football Clubs Professional. Brazilian Journal of Biomotricity, 3(2), 111–120.
- Saybani, H., Yusof, A., Soon, C., Hassan, A., & Zardoshtian, S. (2013). Athletes’ Satisfaction as Mediator of Transformational Leadership Behaviors of Coaches and Football Players’ Sport Commitment Relationship. World Applied Sciences Journal, 21(10), 1475-1483. http://doi.org/10.5829/idosi.wasj.2013.21.10.269
- Sheard, A. G., Kakabadse, N., & Kakabadse, A. (2013). Destructive Behaviours and Leadership: The Source of the Shift from a Functional to Dysfunctional Workplace? International Journal of Social Science Studies, 1(1), 73–89. http://doi.org/10.11114/ijsss.v1i1.31
- Tepper, B. J. (2007). Abusive Supervision in Work Organizations: REview, Synthesis, and REsearch Agenda. Journal of Management, 33(3), 261–289. http://doi.org/10.1177/0149206307300812
- Thoroughgood, CN., Padilla, A., Hunter, ST., Tate, BW. (2012). The susceptible circle: A taxonomy of followers associated with destructive leadership. The Leadership Quarterly, 23(5), 897–917. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2012.05.007
- Toros T, Turksoy A, Doganer S. (2013). The Comparison of Baskatball Coaches’ Leadership and Motivation According to. Nigde University Journal of Physical Education and Sport Sciences 7(1)12-14.
- Tran, Q., Tian, Y., Sankoh, FP. (2013). The impact of prevalent destructive leadership behaviour on subordinate employees in a firm. American Journal of Industrial and Business Management, 3(November), 595–600. http://doi.org/10.4236/ajibm.2013.37069
- Turner, D., Nelson, L., Potrac, P. (2012). The Journey Is the Destination: Reconsidering the Expert Sports Coach. Quest, 64(4), 313–325. http://doi.org/10.1080/00336297.2012.706886
- Turksoy, A., Ozturk, M., Ataman, HB., Diyar, Y. (2016). Leadershıp and Satısfactıon of The Turkısh Young Natıonal Football Team Players. IIB Internatıonal Refereed Academıc Socıal Scıences Journal, 4(10), 110–119.
- Uymaz, AO. (2013). Yikici Liderlik Olcegi Gelistirme Calismasi. I.U. Isletme Fakultesi Isletme Iktisadi Enstitusu Yonetim Dergisi, 24(75), 37–57.
- Vella, S., Crowe, TP. (2010). The application of coach leadership models to coaching practice: Current state and future directions. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 5(3), 425–434.
- Wałach-biśta, Z. (2014). Leadership Scale for Sports – theoretical background and review of psychometric properties research. Česká Kinantropologie, 18(3), 67–76.
- Yanar, S., Celi̇kbi̇lek, S., Bayansalduz, M., Can, Y. (2017). The Importance of Self-Efficacy and Collective Competence Beliefs in Managerial Competence of Sports Managers'. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Sport and Health Sciences, 4(8).