Information security challenges in big data: critical reviewing study
Big data has revolutionized knowledge production as it represents a very large amount of data that exceeds the ability of traditional computing devices to process it. Indeed, the past few decades have witnessed the emergence of new methods of producing, storing and analyzing data to process their huge amount, culminating in the emergence of the field of data science, which combines computational, algorithmic, statistical and mathematical techniques to extrapolate knowledge from big data . The open data movement has also encouraged the sharing of heterogeneous search data and linking it across large digital infrastructures. The paper aimed at shedding light on the challenges facing big data, especially the information security challenge, to try to identify the challenges and solutions that contribute to reducing challenges.
In fact, the lack of independent and detailed studies of these challenges that focus on practical solutions was the motive for conducting this paper. It aims at identifying and collecting the intellectual production, specifying the deficiencies, and looking out for future studies issues bearing in mind the importance of information security and its impact on the continuity and development of technology and facilitating the preservation, sharing and extraction of knowledge.
In this paper, the critical literary methodology was followed to specify the achieved studies and literature in the same issue and thus generalize the benefits and find solutions. Were analyzed to achieve the goal of identifying the challenges facing big data.
One of the most prominent findings of the paper after reviewing the literature and studies shows that the most prominent challenge of big data is the challenge of information security, especially personal data. A number of studies have suggested heading to encryption as one of the solutions and the principle of defining the purpose, restricting use, multi-layer security, and applying Block chain technology.
This goes hand in hand with the aim of the paper to define the challenges of information security in big data, thus contributing to finding appropriate solutions by programmers and specialists, and taking advantage of the characteristics and advantages of big data in saving intellectual production and making it accessible.
This paper recommended the necessity of completing specialized studies in dealing with big data challenges, especially information security, according to actual applicable systems. Leveraging technology such as Hadoop, machine learning, and Block chain to solve big data problems.
Keywords: Information Security, Big Data, SMB’S, Symantec Protection Suite (SPS), Big and Open Linked Data (BOLD), An advanced persistent threat, Block chain
Shahad Ahmed Abdulgaffar. Information security challenges in big data: critical reviewing study. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 6(4)2020, 8-29.
- Leonelli, Sabina (2020). Scientific Research and Big Data, Available at: https://stanford.io/3qdOSAU, Received in 14/8/2020.
- Al-Bar, Adnan, (2017). Big data and its areas of application, available at: https://bit.ly/33t9DPa. Accessed 10/20/2020.
- Al-Aklabi, Ali (2017). Converting Big Data into Added Value, available at: https://bit.ly/3mq3Y3V, accessed 10/20/2020.
- Al-Aklabi, Ali (2019). “Big Data and Decision-Making at King Saud University: An Evaluation Study of the Itqan System”, HBKU Publishing, available at: https://tinyurl.com/y5axgg6j, retrieved on 11/2/2020.
- Fana, Lingjun; Gil-Garciab, J. Ramon, C; Songd, Yi; Cronembergerb, Felippe; Huae, Gang; Werthmullerb, Derek; Burkeb, G. Brian; Costellob, Jim; R. Meyersb, Benjamin; Honga, Xuehai (2019). "Sharing big data using block chain technologies in local governments: Some technical, organizational and policy considerations", Information Polity 24 (2019) 419-435, DOI 10.3233/IP-190156
- Zhou, Linqi; Gu, Weihong; Huang, Cheng; Huang, Aijun; Bai, Yongbin(2018). "Research on information security in big data era", AIP Conference Proceedings 1967, 020020, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5038992
- Shaik, Naseema; Shaik, Mubeena; Mohammad, Nada Ahmed; Alomari, Fatima Ahmed(2018). "Information Security in Big Data", International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science Volume 6, Issue 5, September-October, 2018 ISSN 2091-2730.
- Abdel Hafez, Hoda A. (2017). "Big Data in Smart Cites: Analysis and Applications in Arab World", Egyptian Computer Science Journal (ISSN-1110-2586), Volume 41, Issue 1, January 2017.
- Singh, Reena; Goyal, Dinesh (2017). "An Imperative Aanalysis of Security Issues and Challenges With Big Data in SMB’S’, Suresh Gyan Vihar University, Jaipur (Rajasthan), Volume 8, No. 9, November-December 2017, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.26483/ijarcs.v8i9.4917
- Abdul Ghani, Norjihan; Hamid, Suraya; Izura Udzir, Nur (2016). "Big Data and Data Protection: Issues with Purpose Limitation Principle", Int. J. Advance Soft Compu. Appl, Vol. 8, No. 3, December 2016 ISSN 2074-8523.
- Mai, Jens-Erik(2016). "Big data privacy: The datafication of personal information", THE INFORMATION SOCIETY, 2016, VOL. 32, NO. 3, 192–199, https://bit.ly/33vrqWi
- Miloslavskaya, Natalia; Makhmudova, Aida (2016). “Survey of Big Data Information Security”, 2016 4th International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud Workshops, National Research Nuclear University.
- Hilbert, Martin (2016). “Big Data for Development: A Review of Promises and Challenges”, Development Policy Review, 2016, 34 (1): 135-174.
- Janssen, Marijn (2015). "Big and Open Linked Data (BOLD) in government: A challenge to transparency and privacy?", Government Information Quarterly Journal, 32 (2015) 363-368.
- Zhu, Hong; Xu, Zheng; Huang, Yingzhen (2015). "Research on the security technology of big data information", International Conference on Information Technology and Management Innovation (ICITMI 2015).