Knowledge management as an approach for enhancing competitive capabilities in Majmaah University from a strategic perspective: An Applied Study
This study represents a theoretical and empirical study to recognize the influence of strategic knowledge management on enhancing competitive capabilities. It aims to investigate the extent to which Majmaah University apply the knowledge management approach, determine the contribution of this approach in building the Universities' competitive capabilities, and identify the most important constraints that adversely affect the strategic knowledge management processes in Majmaah University. The study also aims to clarify the nature of knowledge management and determine its reliability as a strategic perspective in enhancing the Competitive Capabilities of Majmaah University. Through the survey study conducted by the researcher, the problem of the study is summarized as follows: The Majmaah University facing a variety of academic and administrative problems and obstacles, due to the relative novelty of this university, which was created with the increasing social demand for education in Saudi Arabia.
Therefore the Emerging Universities in general and Majmaah University in particular, have to develop its strategies and use new strategic approaches for the best exploitation for their strategic capabilities, knowledge is the most important, in order to build competitive capabilities that enable them to survive in the competitive environment of rapid change inside and outside Saudi Arabia, and enable them to keep up with technological and informational development in a highly competitive environment.
For testing hypotheses, the researcher depends on secondary data, which composed the theoretical frame of the study. In addition to the primary data that have been collected through personal interviews and the questionnaire that consist of forty questions. The revised questionnaire was then distributed to 150 academic members from deans and agents of Majmaah University colleges, a total of 95 correct responses were received with a rate 63.33% (some of these questionnaires are collected through e-mails).
As regards the results of hypotheses test, it has been confirmed that the basic hypothesis has been accepted that there's a positive relationship with statistically significant between the strategic knowledge management and enhancing the competitive capability of Majmaah University. And also the sub-hypotheses have been accepted that there's a significant relationship between the organizational culture that supports knowledge, leadership of knowledge, the flexible organizational structure & effective information technology respectively and between enhancing the competitive capability of Majmaah University. Finally, researcher presents a proposed framework for applying knowledge management approach from a strategic perspective in Majmaah University that enables it to achieve competitive capabilities, as this framework can be generalized for emerging Saudi Universities to strengthen its competitive position in the highly competitive environment.
Keywords: Knowledge Management, Competitive Capabilities, Strategic Perspective, Majmaah University
Al-Majhaddi, Ali Saleh. Knowledge management as an approach for enhancing competitive capabilities in Majmaah University from a strategic perspective: An Applied Study. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 5(1)2019, 29-40.
- Abokhodiar, E.S. (2016). Knowledge management implementation at the Women’s Branch of the Institute of Public Administration in Saudi Arabia: A Proposed Model. Excellence in Higher Education, 4: 119-128.
- Al-Hussain, A.Z., (2017). Barriers to Knowledge Management in Saudi Arabia. Unpublished Dissertation, The George Washington University, Proquest. 213 pages; 3481091. Ministry of Education. (2017). The Development of Education, 47th Session of the International Conference on Education, September 8–11, 2017, Geneva.
- Bouthillier, F. & Shearer, K. (2018). Understanding knowledge management and information management: the need for an empirical perspective. Information Research, 8(1).
- Chumjit, S. (2017). Knowledge management in higher education in Thailand. ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing.
- Farzana, S. (2015), Knowledge Management in Higher Education: Applicability of LKMC Model in Saudi Universities, Available via license: CC BY-NC 4.0.
- Firestone, J.M. (2013). Key Issues in Knowledge Management. Knowledge and Innovation. Journal of the KMCI, 1(3), 8-38.
- Gopal, V., & Shobha, K. (2018). Knowledge management in higher education. Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, 2(8).
- Herring, J.P. (2014). Key intelligence topics: a process to identify and define intelligence needs. Competitive Intelligence Review, 10(2), 4-14.
- Kidwell, J.J., Linde, K.M.V., & Johnson, S.L. (2015). Applying corporate knowledge management practices in higher education. Educause Quarterly, 4, 28-33.
- Laal, M. (2018). Knowledge management in higher education. Procedia Computer Science, 3, 544–549.
- Mikulceka، jaroslava & Mikulecky، peter. (2015). " University Knowledge management Issues and prospects" University of Hardec Karove Hardec Kralove Czech Republic.
- Nonaka & Tekeuchi (2013) ،"The Knowledge Creating Company how Academic Institutions create the dynamics of innovation" ،oxford univesity press ،New York ، 21-23.
- Omona, W., & Lubega, J.T. (2012). Enhancing Knowledge Management Using ICT in Higher Education: An Empirical Assessment, Journal of Knowledge Management Practice, 13(3).
- Petrides, L.A. & Nodine, T.R. (2013). Knowledge management in education: Defining the landscape. Retrieved October 25, 2018, from: http://iskme.path.net/kmeducation.pdf
- Pitts & Lei (2016) "Strateic Managemet: Building and Sustaining Competitive Advantages" New York: West Pub. Co.
- Ramanigopal, C. (2017). Knowledge management strategies in higher education. International Journal of Advanced Research in Management (Ijarm), 3(1), pp. 20-29.
- Rastogik، P.(2014). Knowledge management and intellectual capital: The new virtous reality of competitiveness.Human Systems Management، 19(1) ،39-42.
- Rowley, J. (2016). Is Higher Education Ready for Knowledge Management? The International Journal of Educational Management, 14(7, 325-333.
- Steyn, G.M. (2014), Harnessing the power of knowledge in higher education, Educational Development, 124(4), 615-630.
- Watanabe Remy Magnier. (2018). "Congruent knowledge management behaviours as discriminate sources of competitive advantage" Journal of Workplace Learning ، Vol. 21 No. 2 ،2009 ،pp. 109-124.
- Yaghi, K., & Zamzami, O.A. (2014). Obstacles of Implemeting Knowledge Management in the High Education Institutes - Saudi Arabia (Analytical study). International Multilingual Academic Journal, 1(1).
- Yusoff, M.Y.M., Mahmood, A.K., & Jaafar, J. (2018). A Study of KM process and KM enabler in a Malaysian Community College. Journal of Knowledge Management Practice, 13(1).