Assessment of post interventional hepatocellular carcinoma using morphological and functional MRI data
The aim of this study is to evaluate the role of dynamic contrast enhanced and diffusion weighted (DW) MRI in the assessment of response to treatment and detection of residual tumour viability of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) after transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) and radiofrequency ablation (RFA). We utilize pre contrast T1, T2, T2 SPAIR, DWI and dynamic contrast enhanced MRI with post processing subtracted images and color mapping, applied for 50 patients with HCC (25 post-RFA and 25 post-TACE). The sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV), negative predictive value (NPV) and accuracy for both the dynamic and DWIs in post-RFA & post-TACE patients were calculated. Apparent diffusion coefficients (ADCs) were also measured. Our results showed that dynamic contrast enhanced MRI are better than DWI in evaluating HCC response to locoregional therapy. Dynamic study with complementary DWI and ADC measurements provide better tissue characterization and help in effective monitoring of tumor response to locoregional therapy.
Keywords: Hepatocellular carcinoma, MRI, ablation, chemoembolization, residual, dynamic, subtraction, diffusion, ADC
Ahmed M. Magdy, Mohamed A.E. Mahmoud, Mohamed A.M. Saad, Ashraf T. Youssef. Assessment of post interventional hepatocellular carcinoma using morphological and functional MRI data. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 2(3)2016, 7-17.
- Forner A, Llovet JM, Bruix J. (2012). Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet. 2012 Mar 31;379(9822):1245-55.
- Lim HS, Jeong YY, Kang HK, et al. (2006). Imaging Features of Hepatocellular Carcinoma After Transcatheter Arterial Chemoembolization and Radiofrequency Ablation. AJR 2006; 187: 341-349.
- Vogl TJ, Nagy N.N. Naguib, Thomas Lehnert, et al. (2009). Radiofrequency, microwave and laser ablation of pulmonary neoplasms: Clinical studies and technical Considerations-Review article. Eur J Radiol (2009), doi: 10.1016/j.ejrad.2009.07.034.
- Kim SK, Lim HK, Kim YH, et al. (2003). Hepatocellular carcinoma treated with radio-frequency ablation: spectrum of imaging findings. Radiographics 2003; 23:107-121.
- Buijs M, Vossen JA, Hong K, et al. (2008). Chemoembolization of hepatic metastases from ocular melanoma: assessment of response with contrast-enhanced and diffusion weighted MRI. Am. J.Roentgenol. 2008; 191: 285-289.
- Sorensen AG. (2006). Magnetic resonance as a cancer imaging biomarker. J ClinOncol 2006; 24(20): 3274-81.
- Kamel IR and Morgan HR. (2011). MRI Appearance of Treated Liver Lesions. Proc. Intl. Soc. Mag. Reson. Med. 19: 2011.
- Kierans AS, Elazzazi M, Braga L, et al. (2010). Thermoablative treatments for malignant liver lesions: 10-year experience of MRI appearances of treatment response. Am. J. Roentgenol. 2010; 194: 523-529.
- Kim KW, Lee JM and Choi BI. (2011). Assessment of the treatment response of HCC. Abdom Imaging 2011; 36:300-314.
- Jiang ZX, Peng WJ, Li WT, et al. (2008). Effect of b value on monitoring therapeutic response by diffusion weighted imaging. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14(38):5893-9.
- Chopra S, Dodd GD 3rd, Chintapalli KN, et al. (2001). Tumor recurrence after radiofrequency thermal ablation of hepatic tumors: spectrum of findings on dual-phase contrast-enhanced CT. AJR 2001; 177: 381-387.
- Braga L, Guller U and Semelka RC. (2005). Pre-, peri-, and post-treatment imaging of liver lesions. RadiolClin North Am 2005; 43:915-927.
- Yu JS, Kim JH, Chung JJ, et al. (2009). Added value of diffusion weighted imaging in the MRI assessment of perilesional tumor recurrence after chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinomas. J. MagnReson Imaging 2009; 30(1):153–60.
- Schraml C, Schwenzer N, Clasen S, et al. (2009). Navigator Respiratory-Triggered Diffusion-Weighted Imaging in the Follow-up after Hepatic Radiofrequency Ablation-Initial Results. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2009; 29:1308-1316.
- Kim S, Mannelli L, Hajdu CH, et al. (2010). Hepatocellular carcinoma assessment of response to transarterial chemoembolization with image subtraction. J MagnReson Imaging 2010; 31(2):348-55.
- Goshima S, Kanematsu M, Kondo H, et al. (2008). Evaluating local hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence post-transcatheter arterial chemoembolization is diffusion-weighted MRI reliable as an indicator? J. MagnResonImaging 2008; 27(4):834-9.
- Reham M. Osama, Ahmed H.K. Abdelmaksoud, Sanaa A.M. El Tatawy, et al. (2013). Role of dynamic contrast-enhanced and diffusion weighted MRI in evaluation of necrosis of hepatocellular carcinoma after chemoembolization. The Egyptian Journal of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine. Volume 44, Issue 4, December 2013, Pages 737-746.
- Thoeny HC, De Keyzer F, Chen F, et al. (2005). Diffusion- weighted MR imaging in monitoring the effect of a vascular targeting agent on rhabdomyosarcoma in rats. Radiology 2005; 234(3):756-64.