Scenario of aging and human development in Iran: A sociological study of quality of life
The paper explores how the concurrent changes including improving welfare, better life conditions, literacy, work status, food intake, urban life and in general, globalization have led to human development followed by aging of population in Iran. However, aging as a global phenomenon is spreading worldwide ___ more in the Western world, and to a lesser extent in the developing world. While the number of aging people is gradually surging, yet the necessary institutions and infrastructures are not increasing that enough to cope with the needs. Though the main method of research used in the present article is empirical, yet it is preceded by theoretical and literature review. For the present research five hundred elderly people have randomly been selected, and the main hypothesis for which is: "increasing security of the elderly positively enhances their quality of life". In conclusion, the research finds out that the new generation of the aging people have new expectations and needs as compared with the previous generations.
Keywords: Security; Aging people; Welfare; Expectations; Quality of life
Mohammad Taghi Sheykhi. Scenario of aging and human development in Iran: A sociological study of quality of life. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 3(3)2017, 73-84.
- Akbarzadeh, N. (2007). Passing from adolescence to old age; Tehran, Alzahra University Publications.
- Bloom, D.E., & David, C. (2008) Population ageing, human capital accumulation and productivity growth, New York: Population Council Publications.
- Bury, M., & Holme, A. (1991). Life after ninety, London: Routledge.
- Council against abuse of older persons, (2002). "Abuse and neglect of an older or vulnerable person." Laminated handout. Sponsored by St. Joseph's Health Care, and McMaster Center for Gerontological Studies, Hamilton, ON: Promark Printing.
- Documents of Population and Housing Censuses (1956-2006). Tehran: Statistical Centre of Iran Publications.
- Hall, M., & Havens, B. (2002). "Social isolation and social loneliness", in writing in gerontology: Mental Health and ageing, No. 18, 33-44. Ottawa: National Advisory Council on ageing.
- Harbison, J., (1992). "Changing career of elder abuse and neglect as a social problem in Canada": Learning from feminist frameworks, Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect 11 (4): 59-80.
- IFA, The Journal of the international federation on ageing, Summer (2015). Montreal: Taylor & Francis.
- Irudaya, R.S., Sankara S.P., & Mishra, U.S., (2005). “Demography of Indian ageing, 2001-2051” in Phoebe, S. L., Irudaya R.S., eds., An ageing India: Perspectives, prospects and policies, Jaipur, India: Rawat.
- Keddie, K. (1978). Action with the elderly, London: Pergman.
- Laslett, P. (1998). A Fresh map of life: The Emergence of the third age, London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson.
- Podneiks, E. (2004). Social exclusion: A Risk factor for elder abuse, Gerontologist, 44: 849-857.
- Population and Housing Census of Iran (2006). Tehran: Statistical Center of Iran Publications.
- Population and housing census of Iran, (2011). Tehran: Statistical Centre of Iran Publications.
- Results of decennial population and housing censuses of Iran, 1956-2006. Tehran: Statistical Center of Iran Publications.
- Shamloo, Q. (1985). What is old age? Why we grow old? 1st ed., Tehran: Sherkate Sahamie Chehr Publications.
- Shanas, E. (1968). Old people in three industrial societies, London: Routledge.
- Townsend, P. (1968). Ageism and social policy, London: Gower.
- Turner, B. S., Abercrombie, N., & Hill, S. (2000). Penguin dictionary of sociology, London: The Penguin Books.
- United Nations Fund for Population Activities, UNFPA, (1999). Key actions for the future implementation of the program of action of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD), General Assembly: New York.
- United Nations, (1998). World population projections, World population prospects: 1998 Revision, New York, the United Nations.
- Wagner, R., Report and residential care: Positive Choice, 1988a, London: HMSO.
- Welfare Organization of Iran, February 2017, A Radio Report.
- World Population Data Sheet (2015), Washington DC.
- WWW. Tabnak.ir/fa/news/528280, September 2015.