Cognitive learning and teaching styles
Cognitive learning has been influential in teaching over the years. This article will ultimately discuss how five common teaching styles support cognitive learning. This article will first define the five common teaching styles: authority method, demonstrator method, facilitator style, delegator style and the hybrid method. The article will then go on to define Cognitive learning and activities that are associated with this type of learning. Finally, this article with discuss how the five teaching styles support cognitive learning.
Keywords: cognitive learning, authority method, demonstrator method, facilitator style, delegator style, hybrid method
Cassandra Figgs. Cognitive learning and teaching styles. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 7(3)2021, 41-48.
- Beyhan, Ö. (2018). Student Perceptions on the Teaching Styles of Their Teachers. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 33(4), 1038-1048. https://doi-org.glbvvproxy.enmu.edu/10.16986/HUJE.2018036946
- Bohren, A. (2019). Teaching styles: Everything you need to know about teaching methods and strategies. Cognifit.com Retrieved December 6, 2020 from https://blog.cognifit.com/teaching-styles/
- Compos, E. (2020). Objectives of cognitive learning activities. Study.com. Retrieved 12/1/20 from: https://study.com/academy/popular/cognitive-learning-activities-for-the-classroom.html
- Durwin, C.C. & Reese-Weber, M. (2018) ED PSYCH MODULES -Third Edition Los Angeles, SAGE Jain, V. (2008). Teaching Style Categories. Retrieved February 20, 2020, from Scholl of Educators: http://schoolofeducators.com/2008/12/teaching-style-categories
- Kustyarini, K. (2020). Self-Efficacy and Emotional Quotient in Mediating Active Learning Effect on Students’ Learning Outcome. International Journal of Instruction, 13(2), 663-676.
- Maskey C.L. (2009). Cognitive coaching has an exciting place in nursing education. Teaching & Learning in Nursing, 4(2), 63-65.
- McLeod, S. (2015). Cognitive Psychology. Retrieved from Simply Psychology: simplypsychology.org/cognitive.html
- Metzgar, M. (2014). A Hybrid Approach to Teaching Managerial Economics. E-Journal of Business Education and Scholarship of Teaching, 8(2), 123-130.
- Mohammadbeigi, A., Mohammadsalehi, N., Arsang Jang, S., Ansari, H., & Ghaderi, E. (2015). A Study on the Effect of Lecture-based and CD-based Educational Methods on Cognitive Learning of Research Methods Course Intudents of Qom University of Medical Sciences, Iran. Qom University of Medical Sciences Journal, 9(5), 22-24.
- Ramirez, T.V. (2017). On Pedagogy of Personality Assessment: Application of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. Journal of Personality Assessment, 99(2), 146-152. https://doi-org.glbvvproxy.enmu.edu/10.1080/00223891.2016.1167059
- The Peak Performance Center. (2020). The Peack Performance Center. Retrieved from Cognitive Learning Theory: http://thepeakperforancecenter.com/education
- Waldeck, J.H., & Weimer, M. (2017). Forum: The Lecture and Student Learning. Sound Decision Making about the Lecture’s Role in the College Classroom. Communication Education, 66(2), 247-250.
- Winn, A.S., DelSignore, L., Marcus, C., Chiel, L., Freiman, E., Stafford, D., & Newman, L. (2019). Applying Cognitive Learning Strategies to Enhance Learning and Retention in Clinical Teaching Settings. MedEdPORTAL: the journal of teaching and learning resources, 15, 10850. https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10850
- Yaqun Zhang, Rebrina, F., Sabirova, F., & Afanaseva, J. (2020). Blended Learning Environments in Inclusive Education at the University. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 15(21), 145-161. https://doi-org.glbvvproxy.enmu.edu/10.3991/ijet.v15i21.16013