Mastery learning: implications for nursing
Mastery learning is a concept that has been around for over 40 years, but is currently making its application into both the nursing and adult learner world (Cooperman, 2011). This paper gives insight to mastery learning and its application to the adult learner, specifically in the nursing education realm. Utilizing such areas of technology as simulation, students will be able to practice their skills and feel confident in them prior to patient care. Instructors can combat the application barrier by utilizing different techniques during delivery of content. Such national problems as nursing and nursing educator shortages have proven to be a barrier to effective application of the mastery learning concept. There are advantages and disadvantages alike to this learning mastery with implementation for the student and teacher.
Keywords: mastery learning, adult learner, application, advantages, disadvantages
Callie Whittington. Mastery learning: implications for nursing. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 1(3), 5-13.
- Bastable, S. B. (2014). Nurse as educator: Principles of teaching and learning for nursing practice (4th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Bohlin, L., Durwin, C. C., & Reese-Weber, M. (2012). Ed psych modules (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill.
- Changeiywo, J. M., Wambugu, P. M., & Wachanga, S. W. (2010, November). Investigations of students’ motivation towards learning secondary school physics through mastery learning approach. International Journal of Science & Mathematics, 9, 1333-1350. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10763-010-9262-z
- Cooperman, R. (2011, June 1). Mastery learning in the adult classroom. T+D, 65, 52-57.
- Guskey, T. R., & Anderman, E. M. (2013, December 1). In search of a useful definition of mastery. Educational Leadership, 71, 18-23.
- Hunter, T. (2012). Mastery learning in nursing education. The Oklahoma Nurse, 57, 11.
- Iwasiw, C. L., Goldenberg, D., & Andrusyszyn, M. A. (2009). Curriculum development in nursing education (Second ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- McGaghie, W. C., Issenberg, S. B., Barsuk, J. H., & Wayne, D. B. (2014, April 1). A critical review of simulation-based mastery learning with translational outcomes. Medical Education, 48, 375-378. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/medu.12391
- NANDA International. (2015). About us. Retrieved October 9, 2015, from http://www.nanda.org/about-nanda-international.html
- Ramachandran, V. (2014). The new nursing shortage. Retrieved September 26, 2015, from http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ business/2014/05/07/ozy-nursing-shortage/8807937/
- Rodgers, L. (2012). Nation needs to address nursing shortage, yesterday. Retrieved September 26, 2015, from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-rodgers/nursing-educator-shortage_b_1822193.html
- Rosseter, R. (2015). Nursing faculty shortage. Retrieved September 26, 2015, from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/fact-sheets/ nursing-faculty-shortage
- Shank, J. D. (2013). Interactive open educational resources: A guide to finding, choosing, and using what’s out there to transform college teaching. Retrieved from http://site.ebrary.com.glbvvproxy.enmu.edu/ lib/enmu/detail.action?docID=10822370
- Sutton Roberts, D., Ingram, R. R., Flack, S. A., & Jones Hayes, R. (2013, April). Implementation of mastery learning in nursing education. Journal of Nursing Education, 52, 234-237. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.3928/01484834-20130319-02
- Wu, P. H., Hwang, G. J., Su, L. H., & Huang, Y. H. (2012). A context-aware mobile learning system for supporting cognitive apprenticeships in nursing skills training. Educational Technology & Society, 15, 223-236. Retrieved from http://www.ifets.info/journals/15_1/20.pdf