Self-injurious behavior in education and implementations for educators
The following paper reviews and discusses Self-Injurious Behavior (SIB) and Non-Suicidal Self-Injury (NSSI) in the educational setting. The main focus of this text is SIB among youth who have significant cognitive and intellectual disables. However, NSSI could not be dismissed due to a large majority of adolescents who engage in non-suicidal self-injury. Furthermore, the text will cover signs, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and how to hand self-injurious behavior in a school environment. A significant portion of this text will cover implementations for educators when working with a student who has severe development delays in the school setting.
Keywords: Self-injurious Behavior (SIB), Non-Suicidal Self-Injury (NSSI)
Nicholas Charles Garro. Self-injurious behavior in education and implementations for educators. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 1(3), 27-39.
- Buzan, R. D., Thomas, M., Dubovsky, S. L., & Treadway, J. (1995). The use of opiate antagonists for recurrent self-injurious behavior. Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 7(4), 437-444.
- Coccaro, E. F., Kavoussi, R. J., & Hauger, R. L. (1997b). Serotonin function and antiaggressive response to fluoxetine: a pilot study. Biological Psychiatry, 42(7), 546-552.
- Cooper, S., Smiley, E., Allan, L. M., Jackson, A., Finlayson, J., Mantry, D., & Morrison, J. (2009). Adults with intellectual disabilities: prevalence, incidence and remission of self-injurious behaviour, and related factors. Journal Of Intellectual Disability Research, 53(3), 200-216. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2788.2008.01060.x
- Devine, D. (2014). Self-injurious behaviour in autistic children: a neuro-developmental theory of social and environmental isolation. Psychopharmacology, 231(6), 979-997. Doi: 10.1007/s00213-013-3279-2.
- Iannaccone, M., Cella, S., Manzi, S. A., Visconti, L., Manzi, F., & Cotrufo, P. (January 01, 2013). My body and me: self-injurious behaviors and body modifications in eating disorders--preliminary results. Eating Disorders, 21, 2, 130-9.
- Jensen, C. C., Lydersen, T., Johnson, P. R., Weiss, S. R., Marconi, M. R., Cleave, M. L., & Weber, P. (2012). Choosing Staff Members Reduces Time in Mechanical Restraint Due to Self-Injurious Behaviour and Requesting Restraint. Journal Of Applied Research In Intellectual Disabilities, 25(3), 282-287. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3148.2011.00664.x
- Jones, A.B. (2001). Self-injurious behavior in children and adolescents, Part II: Now what? The treatment of SIB, KidsPeace Healing Magazine.
- Kauffman, J., & Landrum, T. (2013). Characteristics of emotional and behavioral disorders of children and youth (10th ed.). Boston: Pearson Education.
- Mark: 5:2-5. (1898). In The Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testiments;. New York: Oxford University Press, American branch.
- Medeiros, K., Petty, J., Ruddick, L., & Bacarese-Hamilton, D. J. (2014). Functional properties of behaviour problems depending on level of intellectual disability. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 58(2), 151-161. doi:10.1111/jir.12025
- Oliver, C., Petty, J., Ruddick, L., & Bacarese-Hamilton, M. (2012). The Association between Repetitive, Self-Injurious and Aggressive Behavior in Children with Severe Intellectual Disability. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 42(6), 910-919. doi:10.1007/ s10803-011-1320-z
- Peebles, K. A., & Price, T. J. (2012). Self-injurious behaviour in intellectual disability syndromes: evidence for aberrant pain signaling as a contributing factor. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56(5), 441-452. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2788.2011.01484.x
- Richards, C., Oliver, C., Nelson, L., & Moss, J. (2012). Self-injurious behaviour in individuals with autism spectrum disorder and intellectual disability. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56(5), 476-489. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2788.2012.01537.x
- Richardson, B. G., & Surmitis, K. A. (2014). Responding to the rise in self-injury among youth. Counseling Today, 57(5), 40-45.
- Sungwoo, K., Hausman, N. L., Fisher, A. B., Donaldson, J. M., Cox, J. R., Lugo, M., & Wiskow, K. M. (2015). The saftey of functional analysis of self-injurious behavior. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 48(1), 107-114.doi: 10.1002/jaba.168
- Thompson, T., Hackerberg, T., Cerulti, D., Baker, D., Axtell, S. (1994), Opioid Antagonist Effects on Self-Injury in Adults with Mental Retardation. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 49: 85-102.
- Whisenhunt, J. L., Chang, C. Y., Brack, G. L., Orr, J., Adams, L. G., Paige, M. R., &... O'Hara, C. (2014). Professional Counselors' Conceptualizations of the Relationship between Suicide and Self-Injury. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 36(3), 263-282.
- Wood, S. M., & Craigen, L. M. (2011). Self-Injurious Behavior in Gifted and Talented Youth: What Every Educator Should Know. Journal for The Education Of The Gifted, 34(6), 839-859. doi:10.1177/016235321 1424989