Evaluating the role of proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in characterization of intracranial lesions
The aim of this study is to evaluate the role of MR spectroscopy in characterization of intracranial lesions including differentiation of neoplastic from non-neoplastic lesions as well as grading of malignant lesions in clinical practice, based on clinician opinion, requesting MR spectroscopy evaluation, in whom the clinical situation could not have explained by the results of conventional imaging or their results were equivocal warranting further work up.
The spectroscopy technique was done utilizing short intermediate and short TE sequences over the lesion, the sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV), negative predictive value (NPV) and accuracy of the results of MRI spectroscopy and separately for each of its parameters compared to the result.
Keywords: Magnetic resonance imaging, Magnetic resonance spectroscopy, Brain tumors, Gliomas, Cerebral metastasis, Inflammatory brain diseases, Cerebrovascular stroke
Mahmoud I. Aboelnor, Mohamed E. Elhawary, Mohamed A.E. Mahmoud, Mohamed A.M. Saad. Evaluating the role of proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in characterization of intracranial lesions. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 3(5)2017, 90-112.
- Riyadh N. Al-Okaili, Jaroslaw Krejza et al,. RadioGraphics 2006; 26:S173–S189.
- Brant, William E and Clyde Helms, Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology, 3rd Edition Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2007.
- Antonios Drevelegas. Imaging of Brain Tumors with Histological Correlations Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2011 second edition
- Ping-Hong Lai1,4, Shu-Shong Hsu2,4, Yuk-Keung Lo3,4, and Shang-Wu Ding Acta Neurol Taiwan 2004;13:107-113.
- Pomper MG, Port JD New techniques in MR imaging of brain tumors. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am (2000) 8:691–713.
- De Stefano N, Caramanos Z, Preul MC, Francis G, Antel JP, Arnold DL. In vivo differentiation of astrocytic brain tumors and isolated demyelinating lesions of the type seen in multiple sclerosis using 1Hmagnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging. AnnNeurol 1998; 44: 273–8.
- Law M, Cha S, Knopp EA, Johnson G, Arnett J, LittAW. High-grade gliomas and solitary metastases: differentiation by using perfusion and proton spectroscopicMR imaging. Radiology 2002; 222: 715–21.
- Kapsalaki EZ, Gotsis ED, Fountas KN. The role of proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in the diagnosis and categorization of cerebral abscesses. Neurosurg Focus 2008; 24: E7.
- Li X, Lu Y, Pirzkall A, Mcknight T, Nelson SJ. Analysis of the spatial characteristics of metabolic abnormalities in newly diagnosed glioma patients. J Magn Reson Imaging 2002; 16: 229–37. Chapter 5: MRS in brain tumors.
- Astrakas LG, Zurakowski D, Tzika AA et al., Noninvasive magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging biomarkersto predict the clinical grade of pediatric brain tumors, Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 8220–8.
- Lukas L, Devos A, Suykens JA, Vanhamme L, Howe FA, Majós C, et al. Brain tumor classification based on long echo proton MRS signals. Artif Intell Med 2004; 31: 73–89.
- Peter B. Barker Alberto Bizzi Nicola De Stefano Rao P. Gullapalli Doris D. M. LinClinical MR Spectroscopy Techniques and Applications Cambridge University Press 2009.
- Juan A Guzmán-De-Villoria1,2*, José M Mateos-Pérez2,3, Pilar Fernández-García1, Enrique Castro1 and Manuel Desco Cancer Imaging (2014) 14:35.
- Aprile, C. Torni1, P. Fiaschini1, M. Muti, High-Grade Cerebral Glioma Characterization: Usefulness of MR Spectroscopy and Perfusion Imaging Associated Evaluation, the Neuroradiology Journal 25: 57-66, 2012.
- Andreas Bitsch, Harald Bruhn, Vassilios Vougioukas, et al., Inflammatory CNS Demyelination: Histopathologic Correlation with in Vivo Quantitative Proton MR Spectroscopy AJNR Am J Neuroradiol October 1999.20:1619–1627.
- Abdel-Monem N. Darweesh, Manal E. Badawy, Manal Hamesa, et al., Magnetic resonance spectroscopy and diffusion imaging in the evaluation of neoplastic brain lesions, The Egyptian Journal of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine (2014) 45, 485–493.
- Rasha Elshafey, Omar Hassanein, Ahmed Shakal, Essam Mokbel H proton MR spectroscopy and diffusion-weighted imaging in discrimination between pyogenic brain abscesses and necrotic brain tumors The Egyptian Journal of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine (2014) 45, 889–896.