The effects of weight loss methods in educational Combat sports and Martial arts
In this study, the effects of the weight loss methods on the students in the Combat sports and Martial Arts field were investigated. Sport Weight Loss Methods and Effects Scale were filled by a total of 208 university students who received sports education. Mann Whitney U and Kruskal Wallis tests were performed statistically.
According to this study, while falling to the weight of the competition, 3% of their body weights and 2.91% of women have fallen. There was a statistically significant difference in fluid loss, physiological and psychological sub-dimensions of the scale according to the sex (p <0, 05 and p <0,001). Significant differences were found in relation to diet, ergogenic, physiological and psychological sub-dimensions according to the branches (p <0.05 and p <0.001).
As a result, the students who played sports were generally affected by diet. While male students were more affected by fluid loss than female athletes, they were less affected by physiological and psychological care. A more comprehensive scale should be developed to determine weight loss methods in the elite level Combat sports and Martial Arts athletes. In addition, nutrition support should be provided.
Keywords: Sports, Weight Loss, Scale
Feyzullah Koca, Osman Imamoğlu, Mehmet Türkmen. The effects of weight loss methods in educational Combat sports and Martial arts. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 4(5)2018, ---.
- Alpay CB, Ersöz Y, Karagöz Ş, Oskuei MM., (2015). Elit Güreşçilerde Müsabaka Öncesi Ağırlık Kaybı, Vücut Kompozisyonu ve Bazı Mineral Seviyelerinin Karşılaştırılması, International Journal of Science Culture and Sport (IntJSCS). Special Issue on the Proceedings of the 4th ISCS Conference – PART B August.
- Artioli, G.G., Gualano, B., Franchini, E., Scagliusi, F.B., Takesian, M., Fuchs, M., & Lancha Jr, A.H., (2010a). Prevalence, magnitude, and methods of rapid weight loss among judo competitors. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 42(3), 436-442.
- Artioli G.G, Franchini E, Nicastro H, Sterkowicz S, Solis MY & Lancha AH Jr (2010b). The need for a weight management control program in judo: a proposal based on the successful case of wrestling. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 7: 15
- Barley O.R. , Chapman D.W. , Abbiss C. R., (2017). Weight Loss Strategies in Combat Sports and Concerning Habits in Mixed Martial Arts, https://doi.org/10.1123/ijspp.0715
- Berkovich BE, Eliakim A, Nemet D, Stark AH & Sinai T., (2016). Rapid weight loss among adolescents participating in competitive judo. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 26(3): 27684.
- Cheuvront, SN, Carter, R, and Sawka, MN. ,(2003).Fluid balance and endurance exercise performance. Curr Sports Med Rep 2: 202–208.
- Çatıkkaş F.,(2016). Genç Taekwondo Sporcularının Sağlıksız Kilo Verme Davranışları ,CBÜ Bed Eğt Spor Bil Dergisi / CBU J Phys Edu Sport Sci, 11(2),sh.125-130
- Imamoğlu O., Soyguden A., Türkmen M., (2017). Comparison of Female Wrestler and Female Judokas Weight loss Situations, International Scientific and Professional Conference on Wrestling “ Applicable Research in Wrestling, Proceedings Book, Zagrep/Novi Sad, pp.181-187
- Lakin, JA, Steen, SN, and Oppliger, RA. (1990).Eating behaviors, weight loss methods, and nutrition practices among high school wrestlers. J Community Health Nurs 7: 223–234.
- Oppliger, R.A., Case, H.S., Horswill, C.A., Landry, G.L., & Shelter, A.C.,(1996). ACSM position stand: Weight loss in wrestlers. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 28(10), 135-138.
- Sundgot-Borgen J & Garthe I (2011). Elite athletes in aesthetic and Olympic weightclass sports and the challenge of body weight and body compositions. J Sports Sci 29(Suppl 1): S101-114.
- Rossow LM, Fukuda DH, Fahs CA, Loenneke JP, Stout JR., (2013). Natural Bodybuilding Competition Preparation and Recovery: a 12-month case study. Int J Sports Physiol Perform, 8:582–592.
- Turocy PS, DePalma BF, Horswill CA, Laquale KM, Martin TJ, Perry AC, Somova MJ, Utter AC & National Athletic Trainers’ Association (2011). National Athletic Trainers’ Association position statement: safe weight loss and maintenance practices in sport and exercise. J Athl Train 46(3): 32236.
- Yang WH, Heine O, Pauly S, Kim P, Bloch W, Mester J, Grau M.,(2015). Rapid rather than gradual weight reduction impairs hemorheological parameters of Taekwondo athletes through reduction in RBC-NOS activation. PLoS One. 10:e0123767
- Yarar, H., Eroğlu, H., Uzum, H., & Polat, E. (2016). “Sporcu Kilo Düşme Yöntemleri ve Etkileri Ölçeği”: Geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması. Journal of Human Sciences, 13(3), 6164-6175. doi:10.14687/jhs.v13i3.421